Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any form of global sort or trigger as a visual?

Hello, 

I am making a report for car sales that have multiple tables that have similar data, (salesman, no cars sold, "otal value of cars sold. We want a global dropdown or selector that will sort every table we have by "no. cars sold" and "total value of cars sold"

Is there any kind of event button or handler that we can install as a visual that will do this?

Thanks, 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Ah, I get what you are trying to do now. So you could do something like that using Bookmarks. So essentially you will need to create multiple pages or multiple visuals on a page and hide them or go to a particular page where things are sorted how you want. But no, there is nothing that will automatically set sorting in one way or another. I'm not even sure how you would build an interface for that.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

Right, with Bookmarks, you essentially do have that ability, essentially. So, what you would do is have the exact same table duplicated and right on top of one another. Sort each how you want it sorted. Then, hide one of the tables and create a Bookmark. Then, hide the other table and show the table that was previously hidden. Create another bookmark. Then you can tie images to each of the bookmarks and essentially achieve the effect you are going for.

Latest book!:

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure if it could help. You can try use Report Level filter in your report. It is global level filter can affect all results cross different tables

2018-04-12_11-17-59.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

The slicers let me filter people by sales person, but how do I use the slicers to make the tables order by descending on something like "total cars sold, order by descending" and "total value of cars sold order by descending?" 

Ah, I get what you are trying to do now. So you could do something like that using Bookmarks. So essentially you will need to create multiple pages or multiple visuals on a page and hide them or go to a particular page where things are sorted how you want. But no, there is nothing that will automatically set sorting in one way or another. I'm not even sure how you would build an interface for that.

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, I think this isn't functionality that works because there is no way to override a user's desired sort order after a user has selected how they want to sort the table.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-restrict-sort-order-in-tabular-view/td-p/122321

As such there is no way we can control how a user decides to view their report. 

I was demoed by another person in Business Analyitics in our company showing how Tableau allows for a similar thing using data parameters, in combination with "if (drop down A is selected) then (sort by total sales)" as a functional expression. 

Right, with Bookmarks, you essentially do have that ability, essentially. So, what you would do is have the exact same table duplicated and right on top of one another. Sort each how you want it sorted. Then, hide one of the tables and create a Bookmark. Then, hide the other table and show the table that was previously hidden. Create another bookmark. Then you can tie images to each of the bookmarks and essentially achieve the effect you are going for.

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Afcj8mT5_Q

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Use Sync Slicers. Essentially, you end up with the same slicer on every page and they all stay in sync with one another.

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.