Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

(Another) Sort by another column problem

Trying to sort a column in my custom date table (a csv file) via a calculated column in the same table but am seeing an error. The calculated column does not reference the column I wish to sort by. Here's the DAX for the calculated column:

PeriodOffset = (Dates[Period]+(Dates[FiscalYear]*13))-
                (CALCULATE(VALUES(Dates[Period]),
                            Dates[Date]=TODAY())+
                (CALCULATE(VALUES(Dates[FiscalYear]),
                    Dates[Date]=TODAY())*13
                    ))
My date table has every date from 2003/4 to 2034/35, along with custom period numbers, calendar and fiscal years etc. The column I am trying to sort is called PeriodFiscalYear. Each value in that column has only one entry in the PeriodOffset column so it's not that.

The weird thing is, I have had this working in a previous report. In this instance, I was simply trying to recreate the functionality but it won't do it. Even stranger, if I create the PeriodFiscalYear column as a calculated column (currently it's hard-coded in the csv file), it works! So I have a sort-of work around, I would just like to understand what is going on.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe I've solved this problem. It was caused by a relationship between my date table and a fact table. The relationship was between a calculated column in the latter that looked up a value from a column in the former. Power BI allowed it, but it seemed to affect the behaviour of reports built using the dataset.

Removing the relationship means I can perform the sort I need.

To recreate the relationship, I've calculated a table in the query that include only the columns I need and inserted this between to the two tables in my model.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous ,

You can also take a look at the following blog about creating a custom sort order table to achieve customer sort order:

Custom Sorting in Power BI

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
ChrisMendoza
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@Anonymous -

What is the error you received?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Capture.PNG

@Anonymous -

You've identified this table as a 'Mark as Date Table' correct? Can you provide a sample?

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I haven't marked it as a date table. I don't need to use the time intelligence fucntions as my calendar has custom periods.  I'd be happy to provide the csv but I don't have anywhere I can upload it that I can access as work.

@Anonymous -

Are they not custom periods based off of sequential dates? Those dates become the sort order. Time Intelligence functions do not need to be utilized just by marking as a date table.

I built a custom period calendar table, marked as date table, and have had no issues with sorting. Possibly it is just the implementation you've chosen that is causing intermittent successes.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ChrisMendoza 

Are they not custom periods based off of sequential dates?

Yes, but the periods change slightly each financial year. For example, 29th April can be in Period 1 or Period 2. The logic for this is implemented.

Those dates become the sort order. Time Intelligence functions do not need to be utilized just by marking as a date table.

I wish to sort by Period/Fiscal Year for visuals. If I don't do this, the x-axis of a chart showing the last 13 periods of data would put period 13, 2018/19 after period 1, 2019/20. Hope that makes sense.

I can certainly try marking it as a date table, I'm just not sure why this would matter!

@Anonymous -

Maybe take a look at how I implemented my custom periods at http://cjmendoza.yourweb.csuchico.edu/custom-calendar/create-a-custom-period-calendar-in-power-query/. Seems like your need is similar.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ChrisMendoza 

I've had a look at your post. Very similar to what I've done, except I did it in Excel then imported into Power BI. I think my PeriodOffset column is similar to your index column, except mine is dynamic; i.e. it's recalculated everytime the model is loaded. This means in time intelligence functions, I don't have to find the current period number each time: I know it's PeriodOffset = 0.

I'm still confused as to why my method is not sortable. Perhaps the way I am doing it isn't the best. I did try generating the column within the query, but I couldn't get the list functions to accept a table column as an argument.

@Anonymous -

I would be interested in seeing your file. Hope you find your solution, best of luck.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe I've solved this problem. It was caused by a relationship between my date table and a fact table. The relationship was between a calculated column in the latter that looked up a value from a column in the former. Power BI allowed it, but it seemed to affect the behaviour of reports built using the dataset.

Removing the relationship means I can perform the sort I need.

To recreate the relationship, I've calculated a table in the query that include only the columns I need and inserted this between to the two tables in my model.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cheers Chris, I will. I'm off home now (in the UK) but will post back tomorrow.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.