Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Annual sales progression Column chart with new own items added along the year

Hello, I am trying to make an annual sales column chart that shows how much we sold throughout the year, thats pretty standard for a simple table, however  we get from our client a table comprising of all the sales they made and this chart computes only items produced by us and along the year we release new items that must be shifted from produced by a 3rd party or produced by us.

Client sales table example

Sales Table
sale dateproductidnet sale
s1p1$$
s2p2$$$
s3p3$$$$
s4p4$$
s5p5$
s6p6$$

To do so we use a flag column to mark the items produced by us and use that as a filter in calculate function to get the function to compute only our sales and give us a measure that is used in the chart. But that way if a product is released lets say in july, changing this flag will make the  function  consider that product being ours since forever... so it will be computed as well in the previous months.

Our product identification table

Product Table
productidpname

Own brand

p1pname1      1
p2pname2      1
p3pname3      1
p4pname4      0
p5pname5      1
p6pname6      1

What I ve been trying to do without success is to make the measure add those products based on the month they were launched under our own brand by using another flag and a column that shows when a new item was added. (so the item is the same, ie. if p2 was a milk carton   and we started producing it it would still count in their system as a milk carton and therefore as p2 but produced by us, and they would take the other brand off the shelfs so all sales past this date would be considered ours.)

To do so I added 2 new columns that show if the item is new and wich date it was introduced

Product Table
productidpnameOwn brandnew product flagsales date beginning
p1pname1        10-
p2pname2        11jul/20
p3pname3        11jul/20
p4pname4        00-
p5pname5        10-
p6pname6       11nov/20

the original measure is 

total sales = CALCULATE(SUM('sales table'[Net sales]),'Product Table'[own brand] IN { 1 })

So I want to make it consider the date it was introduced so the sales prior to that date counts as other brands (so it is not added in the measure) and sales past that date for that product are added to the measure. O like bellow, the original sales are in green but in july we added newproducts, so I want to count those sales as well and show them, the same happens in november when another product is launched.

talleslessa_0-1611053015188.png

But I am having troubles figuring out how to work with dates in DA, anyway to make this work without creating new tables ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

Based on the information you gave believe you need to do the following measures:

Sales Own brand = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Quantity]), products[Own brand] = 1 ,products[new product flag]  = 0)  

Sales Other Brands = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Quantity]), products[Own brand] = 0 )

Sales Other Brands (before date of own brand) = 
SUMX (
    FILTER (
        CROSSJOIN (
            products,
            SUMMARIZE ( sales, Sales[Product], Sales[Quantity], Sales[Sale ID] )
        ),
        Sales[Sale ID] < products[sales date beginning]
            && products[new product flag] = 1
            && products[Own brand] = 1
            && products[productid] = Sales[Product]
    ),
    [Quantity]
)

Sales Own Brands (after date of own brand) = 
SUMX (
    FILTER (
        CROSSJOIN (
            products,
        ),
        Sales[Sale ID] >= products[sales date beginning]
    ),
    [Quantity]
)

Others = [Sales Other Brands] + [Sales Other Brands (before date of own brand)]

Own Brad = [Sales Own brand] + [Sales Own Brands (after date of own brand)]

The last two measure are the ones you need to use on your visualization I just broke it down in 4 measures in order to check the results more accurralty and if needed to be easier to edit the own / other brands part.

Check result in attach PBIX file attach,

Data is:

• 4 products
  • 1 quantity per product per month
  • 1 own brand
  • 1 other brand
  • 2 new products one that initiate sales in own brand in July and the other in November.

MFelix_0-1611229818976.png

Has you can see in January until July (when the first item passes to own brand) sales are 1 for own and 3 for other in July to November we have 2 of each after november the chart flips and you get 3 own and 1 others.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

Based on the information you gave believe you need to do the following measures:

Sales Own brand = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Quantity]), products[Own brand] = 1 ,products[new product flag]  = 0)  

Sales Other Brands = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Quantity]), products[Own brand] = 0 )

Sales Other Brands (before date of own brand) = 
SUMX (
    FILTER (
        CROSSJOIN (
            products,
        ),
        Sales[Sale ID] < products[sales date beginning]
    ),
    [Quantity]
)

Sales Own Brands (after date of own brand) = 
SUMX (
    FILTER (
        CROSSJOIN (
            products,
        ),
        Sales[Sale ID] >= products[sales date beginning]
    ),
    [Quantity]
)

Others = [Sales Other Brands] + [Sales Other Brands (before date of own brand)]

Own Brad = [Sales Own brand] + [Sales Own Brands (after date of own brand)]

The last two measure are the ones you need to use on your visualization I just broke it down in 4 measures in order to check the results more accurralty and if needed to be easier to edit the own / other brands part.

Check result in attach PBIX file attach,

Data is:

• 4 products
  • 1 quantity per product per month
  • 1 own brand
  • 1 other brand
  • 2 new products one that initiate sales in own brand in July and the other in November.

MFelix_0-1611229818976.png

Has you can see in January until July (when the first item passes to own brand) sales are 1 for own and 3 for other in July to November we have 2 of each after november the chart flips and you get 3 own and 1 others.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Anonymous
Not applicable

Omg, thats it ! thank you so much !

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.