Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AJP
Regular Visitor

Annotation using a FactEvent Table? Is this Possible?

Hi All,

I am looking to annotate a line graph - I have been able to do this using the EVENT & NOTE Dax as detailed in a number of posts, however this doesn't quite give me the functionality that I need. 

EVENT = IF(LEN([NOTE]),[TOTAL METRIC],BLANK())

Note = SWITCH(
max(DimDate[Date]),
VALUE("01/01/2017"),"PUT TEXT HERE",
BLANK()
)

The NOTE is hardcoded to text events. 

Am I able to use a FactEvent table to link to the data and make the notes dynamic and appear in the graph on the specific date? This is much easier to maintain plus we have a lot of events! 

Any help much appreciated. 

Thanks

Annie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Annie,

If you have an Event table, you can establish relationship with the DimDate. Then add it to the Tooltip. Please check out the demo here.

The measures could be:

Note =
SWITCH (
    MIN ( 'DimDate'[Date] ),
    MIN ( 'DimDate'[Date] ), MIN ( 'Event'[Event] ),
    BLANK ()
)
Event =
IF ( LEN ( [Note] ) > 0, SUM ( FactEvent[Value] ), BLANK () )

nnotation_using_a_Fact_Event_Table

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @AJP,

Could you please provide more details? Please share a dummy sample. I can't see any connection between EVENT and Note. Do you want to put them as tips in a visual?

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Dale, 

Thank you for replying. I have tried to add a screenshot but I can't do it - Sorry!

The note looks at the date table and line graph and then pulls back any associated text for that date. 

So in my line graph on the 1st Jan 2017 there is a note along side the value in the hover-over tool tip that states EVENT 1. You can change the line marker to highlight that an event took place on that date.

(I followed this - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Webinars-and-Video-Gallery/Annotating-Specific-Events-in-Line-Chart...)

Note = SWITCH(
max(DimDate[Date]),
VALUE("01/01/2017"),"EVENT 1",
BLANK()
)

The Event basicially sees if there is a note (LEN bigger than 0) and brings back the note text which sits in the tool tip. 

My issue is I want to record a number of events so using the note DAX i would have to do the following all hard coded

Note = SWITCH(
max(DimDate[Date]),
VALUE("01/01/2017"),"",

VALUE("02/01/2017"),"EVENT 2",

VALUE("03/01/2017"),"EVENT 3",

VALUE("04/01/2017"),"EVENT 4",

VALUE("05/01/2017"),"EVENT 5",

BLANK()
)

Do you know if it is possible to replace the VALUE("01/01/2017"),"EVENT 1", with an event table like below

Date                                  Event

01/01/2017                     EVENT 1

02/01/2017                     EVENT 2

03/01/2017                     EVENT 3

04/01/2017                     EVENT 4

05/01/2017                     EVENT 5

So essentially a reference table rather than hard coded text?

I am not very good at explaining things technically, but i hope this makes it a little clearer

Thanks

Annie

Hi Annie,

If you have an Event table, you can establish relationship with the DimDate. Then add it to the Tooltip. Please check out the demo here.

The measures could be:

Note =
SWITCH (
    MIN ( 'DimDate'[Date] ),
    MIN ( 'DimDate'[Date] ), MIN ( 'Event'[Event] ),
    BLANK ()
)
Event =
IF ( LEN ( [Note] ) > 0, SUM ( FactEvent[Value] ), BLANK () )

nnotation_using_a_Fact_Event_Table

Best Regards,

Dale

Hello,

Would you be able to upload the sample file again please.

This is a really useful topic, but sadly the file has been removed.

Thanks

Dale,

I have a matrix visual on my page, that I am using to filter my line chart. If I click on an item name, the line chart shows filters to the revenue for that item only. I want the chart to also filter to only show the event and note for that item as well.  How would you adjust the Note or Event measures to work for this? event.PNGic item through the matrix? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you solve this problem?

Hi @wmeyer,

I would suggest you create a new post in this forum.

Best Regards,

Dale - that works perfectly! Thank you! 🙂

AJP
Regular Visitor

Hi All,

I am looking to annotate a line graph - I have been able to do this using the EVENT & NOTE Dax as detailed in a number of posts, however this doesn't quite give me the functionality that I need. 

EVENT = IF(LEN([NOTE]),[TOTAL METRIC],BLANK())

Note = SWITCH(
max(DimDate[Date]),
VALUE("01/01/2017"),"PUT TEXT HERE",
BLANK()
)

The NOTE is hardcoded to text events. 

Am I able to use a FactEvent table to link to the data and make the notes dynamic and appear in the graph on the specific date? This is much easier to maintain plus we have a lot of events! 

Any help much appreciated. 

Thanks

Annie

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.