Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vihj
Frequent Visitor

Anlayse differernt datasets together

Hi

I am trying to analyze data from different datasources but within the same project for porject management reasons.

So I have different issues from Jira and issues from a 3D-modeling software for buildings and I want to make a combined analysis of all issues within the project. Both datasets have 'diciplins' which the issues are assigned to. However in Jira the diciplins can appear in 2 columns; one colum specifying From which diciplin the issue is craeted from and one columnt spcifying To which deciplin the issue is assigned to.

For ex. in Jira

- Issue 1 is created FROM the architect TO the electrician

- Issue 2 could be created FROM the electrician TO  the architect (hence "From" is a column and "To" is another column in the Jira dataset and both columns can have the same value, e.g. architect, electrician, projectmanager, etc)

issues from the other dataset only include the Diciplin-column corresponding to the TO-column in Jira; e.g

- Issue 1 is assined TO the electrician

- Issue 2 is assigned TO the archiect

Furthermore the diciplines are not named the same in the different datasets. In Jira there is e.g. "architecht-A1"; "architecht-A2" (hence there are may be multiple architechts but named differently in the same dataset) and in the modelling dataset all architects are only named "A", which then would represent "architecht-A1" and "architecht-A2" from the Jira dataset.

Since my goal is to analyze all issues from both datatsets together I would create a table "DIM-Diciplines" and include all diciplines from both datasets and then assign each one to a new column which I name "Category". Thus, "architecht-A1"; "architecht-A2" and "A" are assigned to the same categoriy "Architechts"

However I can get it all to work in Power BI. So my question:

What do I do in the Jira dataset, since there I have colum "From" and "To" which both should be able to correspond to the same DIM-Diciplin table.

Is this possible, considering I later want to visulize both the "From" and "To" column" simultaniously?

Or should I rather create a DIM-FromDiciplin and a DIM-ToDiciplin? However then I would have 2 DIM-tables with the same information which seems quite useless, doesnt it?

Or should I maybe somehow use the unpivot function on the Jira-dataset first? 

Am I on the right track?

Since I have confuced myself quite a lot now any tip will do 🙂

1 REPLY 1
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @vihj

It seems the issue about relationships. Sample data and expected output will be helpful to provide an accurate solution. Below are some articles about relationship for your reference.

https://exceleratorbi.com.au/relationships-power-bi-power-pivot/

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/relationship-power-bi-multiple-columns-reza-rad

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.