Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

moezsajwani
Frequent Visitor

Analyze in Excel

Hi All,

When using analyze in excel function from PowerBI, I am consistently getting an error "The field you are moving cannot be placed in that area of the report" while dragging fields under "VALUES FIELD". I am facing this issue while dragging fields from database tables. I can drag calculated measures under "VALUES FIELD". However it is opposite scenario when dragging data in any fields other than VALUES. I cannot put any calculated measures in any field of pivot other than "VALUE FIELD" and vice versa.

I am using access as a database and on-premise data gateway along with access server 2010.

I need your help in resolving this issue. I am not an expert in database.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @moezsajwani,

When we use the Analyze in Excel feature, only measures can be placed into the values section. For more information, see: Can't drag anything to the PivotTable Values area (no measures)

As the measure returned calculated values, it only can be put in Values section, it's expected that it cann't be put to row or column group. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @moezsajwani,

When we use the Analyze in Excel feature, only measures can be placed into the values section. For more information, see: Can't drag anything to the PivotTable Values area (no measures)

As the measure returned calculated values, it only can be put in Values section, it's expected that it cann't be put to row or column group. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

Thank you so much for quick response. I understood it! can you suggest a way through which I can use fields from tables in values? One thing I could think of is to create dummy measures in Power BI desktop so that they can be used in VALUES field in pivot table when using analyze in excel function. It is a good practice or is there any other better way?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Moez

Hi @moezsajwani,

It depends on the dataset which you want to analyze in Excel. If this report comes from pbix file, which you created in Power BI desktop then publish to Power BI service, then you need to create measures in Power BI desktop, then republish the report to service. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.