Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Stuart_S
Frequent Visitor

Analyze in Excel - 64 bit Windows and 32 bit Excel Issue

I have a 64 bit Windows 10 system. I have 32 bit office including Excel. I am trying to use the Analyze in Excel feature. I have downloaded and installed the libraries, but I noticed that it defaulted to the 64 bit version.

Any time I try to open an .odc file, I get the following error: 

"Initialization of the data source failed. Check the database server or contact your database administator. Make sure the external database is available, and then try the operation again. If you see this message again, create a new data source to connect to the database."

Could you provide a link where I could download the 32 bit version to see if that resolves my issue?

4 REPLIES 4
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Stuart_S ,

Based on this documentsThe Excel libraries need to match your version of Windows in terms of its bit-level. If you have 64-bit Windows installed, you need to install the 64-bit OLE DB provider.

You can try to uninstall the add on and then reinstall it, please refer to this post which has same error as yours.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Ok that makes sense on the 64 bit answer. I tried uninstalling "Microsoft Analysis Services OLE DB Provider" from my pc. I then reinstalled it using the down arrow "download" button from my PowerBI workspace. I am still gettting the same error. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Stuart

Hi @Stuart_S ,

For the issue, I cannot reproduce it here. We suggest you to open a ticket here for help if you are a pro user: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Support Ticket .gif

Best regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Stuart_S 

Accoring to this post here: 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/32-bit-installer-for-amp-quot-Analyze-in-Excel-amp-quot...

you can get the 32bit version within this pack here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52676 

I am sure if this will solve your problem tho. 

Let me know if it works. If not, we can take other actions. 

kr

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.