Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tamdji

Analytics pane measures

Hi there,

Could anyone explain to me how the Analytics pane measures (mean, percentile ...etc) are calculated ? When I do calculate the mean or percentile via excel or DAX functions I do not get the same results as the values calculated via the Analytics pane.

Thanks a lot,

Tamdji

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi there,

Thanks a lot I think I figured out what the problem was. For instance, lets say in column A you have cities name and column B the city population number. What happens is that when in column A all city names are different then what the analytics pane calcultes as a mean is correct, but as soon as you have a city name more than once in column A, PBI will sum the two corresponding records in column B and consider the sum as one element (which is not what I want).

xoxo

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
tamdji

Hey thanks a lot,

It works perfectly when you have 2 columns, but in my case lets say for instance I am starting with this database:

Capture.PNGCapture.PNGCapture.PNGCapture.PNG

I have picked Column B and C for this example, Column A is mentionned anywhere. When i do calculated the average with the integrated function I get 22.9 which is correct:

Capture.PNG

Now on my graph where Y is the numer of "ville" and X = "Hab", I go under the Analytics pane choose the average line and on which measure I would like the Average line to be drawn ( the integer "hab" measure):

Capture.PNG

And this is what i get on the final graph: The Average according to the Analytic spane is 21.23

Capture.PNG

So Why is there a difference ? How is the calculation made ? And obviously if I swap column B with Column A on all measures the Average changes too while it shouldnt as the  integer comlun does not change. In my understanding the Average should be all integer divided by the number of integer, I guess under the analytics pane, it is not calculated that way. 

Thanks,

Tamdji

Hi @tamdji

Below is the ariticle for your reference. Please share some data sample for us to check. You can upload it to OneDrive or Dropbox and post the link here. 

https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/5084/analytics-with-power-bi-desktop-dynamic-line-references/

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi there,

Thanks a lot I think I figured out what the problem was. For instance, lets say in column A you have cities name and column B the city population number. What happens is that when in column A all city names are different then what the analytics pane calcultes as a mean is correct, but as soon as you have a city name more than once in column A, PBI will sum the two corresponding records in column B and consider the sum as one element (which is not what I want).

xoxo

Hi tamdji,

Did you find a workaround to your problem?  I am experiencing a similar challenge.

Hi @tamdji

Glad to hear that you've solved it, please accept your conclusion as solution, that way, other community members will easily find the solution when they get same issue.

Regards,

Cherie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @tamdji

Based on my test, show a simplified sample as below. You may refer to the measure in picture.

1.png

Regards,

Cherie

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.