Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hwoehler
Helper I
Helper I

'An Argument of Function Ln has wrong data type or result is too small or too large'

Hello everybody,
I want to calculate the logarithm of a division (close/prev-closing). The following columns are relevant for this: Date, Close, PreviousClose, PreviousDate. The general change in % can be calculated using the formula "(Close / Prev_Closing) -1". In my case I would now like to calculate the logarithm. In Excel, the formula would be: ln(Close / Prev_Closing). The formula in Power BI "DailyChangeLN = ln (divide (Fact_Stocks [Close]; Fact_Stocks [Prev_Closing]))" unfortunately gives me ERROR with the error: 'An Argument of Function Ln has wrong data type or result is too small or too large '. Why is that?
Best regards, hwoehler

Unbenannt.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

LN only working for non zero positive numbers. I checked and changed formula like this and it is working

DailyChange LN = if(Fact_Stocks[DailyChange]<>0, ln(abs(Fact_Stocks[DailyChange])))

Check file at same location

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Check both are of decimal data type. Try new column like

new column = divide(table[Close] ,table[Prev_Closing]) -1

Appreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution. In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @
Thanks. My Recent Blog -
Winner-Topper-on-Map-How-to-Color-States-on-a-Map-with-Winners , HR-Analytics-Active-Employee-Hire-and-Termination-trend
Power-BI-Working-with-Non-Standard-Time-Periods And Comparing-Data-Across-Date-Ranges

Connect on Linkedin

Hi @amitchandak,

thanks for your quick reply. Unfortunately it doesn't work. Both Columns (Close and Prev_Closing) are of the decimal number data type. Maybe you have time to have a closer look at my file: https://we.tl/t-wizGGyNNix
Regards, hwoehler

I added this one and it worked

DailyChangeLN = DIVIDE(Fact_Stocks[Close],Fact_Stocks[Prev_Closing])-1

Refer :https://www.dropbox.com/s/fn97mbhbxzxzpbr/Korrelation.pbix?dl=0

Hi @amitchandak,

you're right. This is the formula, which already worked before. As i mentioned in the text ("In my case I would now like to calculate the logarithm.") i want to calculate the logarithm of the division. There is the Error.
Do you have a hint?

Regards,

LN only working for non zero positive numbers. I checked and changed formula like this and it is working

DailyChange LN = if(Fact_Stocks[DailyChange]<>0, ln(abs(Fact_Stocks[DailyChange])))

Check file at same location

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.