Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bnotestine
Frequent Visitor

Ambiguous Relationships

I've got a relatively straightforward report I'm building to display Overtime amounts by Employee, by Job and by Regional Manager. I'm struggling though with my relationships trying to tie everyone's Employee ID number back to their Employee Name. I've got 3 tables:

Job Listing

• Job Number
  • Regional Manager (Employee ID)
  • Site Manager (Employee ID)

Payroll Overtime Data

• TRX Number
  • Employee ID
  • Job Number
  • Amount

Employee Listing

• Employee ID
  • Employee Name
  • Department

So the Job Listing table has 2 Employee ID fields (Regional Manager & Site Manager) I need to tie back to the Employee Listing table to get the person's name and the Payroll Overtime Data table has 1 Employee ID field I need to tie back to the Employee Listing table to get their name. 

First attempt I just tried straight Many to One relationships and obviously after setting up the first one got the Ambiguous Relationships error. My second attempt I made 3 new staging tables to copy unique Employee ID values out so I could make the 3 One to One relationships from the staging tables to the Employee Listings tables but when I tried setting up the Many to One relationships to each of the staging tables I again got the ambiguous relationships error. 

Not entirely sure how to tie the multiple Employee ID fields back to get the Employee Names now. Any help would be appreciated. 

2 REPLIES 2
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @bnotestine

You may have a look at the document: Create and manage relationships in Power BI Desktop. If it is not your case, please share some data sample and expected output. You can upload it to OneDrive or Dropbox and post the link here.

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Can you post a screen shot of your relationships. Sample data would also help. Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.