Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

misen13
Frequent Visitor

Ambiguity relationship

Hello,

I'm trying to create a relationship between 3 tables, Calendar, Confirmation and Affection. The thing is that the link between Calendar and Confirmation is inactive. I tried to do it in a sample data file and it worked, so I'm not sure why this is happening. It says "You can't create a direct relationship between Confirmation and Calendar because that would introduce ambiguity between tables Calendar and tEmploye. To make this relationship active, deactive or delete one of the relationship between Calendar and tEmploye first."

Is there any particular reason why this is happening?

Thanks.

Sample data file where I'm having no issue with relationships: https://files.fm/u/9re4p5p3

AmbiguityRelationship.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @misen13,

Relationship in power bi is different than other databases, it has direction for relationships(e.g, single filter direction, filter effect from one side to other side; cross filter direction, each side can effect correspond column).

Power bi will try to analytics data model and summary records through relationships.

If your relationship map contains multiple active relationships to analytic summarize, it will confused which one should be the right one. So it only allow one activated major relationship link between linked tables for analytics and interactions.

After play with your sample, I found your relationship map contains two available relationships tree.('date' and 'worker') I think power bi will confuse which relationship use to link tables when you try to active them at same time.

You can also take a look at following blog about 'power bi' relationship direction:

What is the Direction of Relationship in Power BI?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @misen13,

Relationship in power bi is different than other databases, it has direction for relationships(e.g, single filter direction, filter effect from one side to other side; cross filter direction, each side can effect correspond column).

Power bi will try to analytics data model and summary records through relationships.

If your relationship map contains multiple active relationships to analytic summarize, it will confused which one should be the right one. So it only allow one activated major relationship link between linked tables for analytics and interactions.

After play with your sample, I found your relationship map contains two available relationships tree.('date' and 'worker') I think power bi will confuse which relationship use to link tables when you try to active them at same time.

You can also take a look at following blog about 'power bi' relationship direction:

What is the Direction of Relationship in Power BI?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thanks! That worked!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.