Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

alisaleh
Helper I
Helper I

Ambigious Relationship when trying to filter

Hi,

I have the model below. I need the Project to filter everything. The filter Im having problem with is when I try to create a measure on the punchListItem where it can be filtered by Discipline, Subsystem (dimesion tables) and PunchList which is like the parent object. If  I specified in my measre that I want to filter by Discipline and Subsystem using DAX USERELATIONSHIP I will get ambigious path error comging form Project->system->Subsystem->PunchListITem & Project->Discipline->PunchListITem. How can I solve this yet still be able to filter?

alisaleh_0-1659636937031.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for your help @AntonioM . I had to do it a different way by  inactivating relationship going from the project to all dimension tables to obtain the desired star schema.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

You want to aim at changing the table structure to being a star schema.

You need a central fact table with dimensions coming off it. The key thing is in an analytics database the only thing that needs to be filtered is the central fact table.

Part of the approach to getting there would be to flatten some of your dimensions eg system and subsystem probably want to become a single table. Then in the fact table you need a ProjectId, SystemId, DisciploneId etc.

You can do all that transform inside

of power query.

You'll find it all works and your dax is much easier to write.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!
AntonioM
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Can you also disable the relationship between PunchList and PunchListItem, using USERELATIONSHIP there as well? At the moment, as soon as you 'switch on' either one of the other two relationships, you have two ways of project filtering Punchlistitem, so you get the error message.

If not you might have to change how the tables are set up, as it won't let you have more than one filter paths between two tables.

Thanks for your help @AntonioM . I had to do it a different way by  inactivating relationship going from the project to all dimension tables to obtain the desired star schema.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.