Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MG86
Advocate II
Advocate II

Always show last N months on x-axis based on chosen date (AAS Live Connection)

Hi, I have a report that now always shows a measure on a Year-Month axis, with a calculated column on the Date table that determines the last 6 months acting as a filter to always show the last 6 months. This calculated column is based on Today().

However, the report now needs to change in such way that the graph with 6 months on the x-axis doesn't necessarily display the last 6 months relative to today, but also needs to be able to show 6 months prior to a chosen date.

So, whereas the users usually run a report over the last month, let's say July. It would show monhtly statistics concerning the month of july and some trend graphs that show Feb-July and also some 13 month graphs that show July 2019 - July 2020. 

This works as long as the report is made in Month X and the period they want to run the report for is Month X-1

However I can't get the new requirement to work that if we live in August 2020, and they want to report statistics over April 2020, that the 6-month period changes to Nov 2019, Dec 2019, Jan 2020, Feb 2020, Mar 2020, April 2020. 

What I tried so far:

- Keep it simple and add another filter and instruct user to use both a report period (eg April 2020) and a trendperiod filter (eg Nov 2019 - April 2020). However I then ran into the 13months graphs and it gets a bit rediculous to ask the user to set 3 date filters.

- Use a measure with DATESINPERIOD with MAX(Dates) and interval of 6 Months. And then rather of using the Dates table to add Year-Month to the axis, I use the Year-Month of the date column of the fact table. This doesn't however work for graphs that shows 2 measures, both based on different dates (creation date and closure date). So I cannot use this solution: http://sqljason.com/2018/03/display-last-n-months-selected-month-using-single-date-dimension-in-powe...

What I wanted to try and what should otherwise work I think is to promt the user with a parameter field where they enter the month they want to report on. And then with calculated column in Date table dynamically mark the date rows that qualify as being within 6 months prior to the parameter. However, as I am using Live Connection to Azure Analysis Services, the What-If parameter is greyed out and data is loaded on the Azure side.

It is a shame that Power BI does not provide capability of setting date filters based on other fields, and relative dates only seem possible relative to Today, rather than relative to user-specified dates.

Anyone who has encountered and solved this issue?

2 REPLIES 2
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MG86 ,

Your demand is a good idea, while it is unsupported to show last N months on x-axis based on chosen date for the SSAS Live Connection in Power BI currently. You may post your new idea in Idea Forum , add your comments there to improve Power BI and make this feature coming sooner.

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@MG86 - Right, so if you are in Live mode, you cannot use composite model (have your own tables/import as well) That works with Direct Query, you can have a composite model. However, the feature is coming according to the road map this year it looks like.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.