Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ahpitre2
Frequent Visitor

Alteryx as a data source

Is there a way Power BI can connect to an Alteryx Workflow? All that I have found so far is installing the Publish to Power BI addon on Alteryx Designer and have workflow send data to Power BI. What I really want is the opposite, say, select Alteryx data flow as my source in Power BI Desktop and then build my Dashboard. Having Alteryx push the data to Power BI is cumbersome and takes more time to develop as you need to set your Alteryx workflow to export to Power BI and also deal with permissions, logins, etc.

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@ahpitre2 ,

To achieve data from Alteryx workflow, you may refer to steps in blog below:

https://help.alteryx.com/2018.2/PublishToPowerBI.htm

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Thanks for the tip. The issue with the Publish to Power BI approach is that it only works on Power BI Service (Cloud), not on Prem (Power BI Reporting Server). Also, it requires you to 1st publish your workflow as a Power BI Cloud table/dataset, and then create your Power BI Dashboard based on published table/dataset. This is too convoluted and there are security issues to address. It would be much simpler if Alteryx workflow could just be used as a Data Source, that way you just use Power BI Desktop, select your data source and create your dashboard. I wonder if this is an Alteryx issue that they don't want to create a true connector/driver, or maybe it's Microsoft's way of pushing clients to adopt Power Flow which directly competes with Alteryx.

@ahpitre2 ,

I would suggest you create an idea here to help power bi improve.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.