Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

acrouch

Alterning Datasets Created From Power BI Content Packs

I have utilized the Quickbooks Online content pack to put together some really nice reports and dashboards, however, I'd like to add some of my organization's own calculations to the dataset as well as, potentially, alterning some of the existing ones.  I would also like to rename several of the attributes in the dataset to better represent terminology used at my organization.

My question is, can I alter or augment measures or attributes in a data set when the data set is built using a content pack?  I haven't had any success trying to figure this out on my own.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I believe that datasets in content packs are read only.

konstantinos
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

After the GA in 24th the PowerBI Desktop ( Designer ) will have the Quickbooks online connector so you can import  various datasets & design your custom calculations & data model..

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/powerbi/archive/2015/07/10/announcing-power-bi-general-availability-coming-j...

PBI 

PBI

Konstantinos Ioannou

Well spotted Konstantinos, as of the GA version you'll be able to connect to QBO and some of the other Content Pack sources. You'll be able to pull data from there into Power BI Desktop and add your own calculations etc.

Hi All,

Has anybody connected to the QBO file.  I have a few customers listed and I cannot work out how to alternate between customers files.  I am using Get data in Power BI desktop.

Thanks in advance.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Tachjian
timrodman
Helper I
Helper I

I have been wondering the same thing. I haven't tried a content pack yet, but I was hoping that they were just OData underneath with pre-built dashboards on top, but all the flexibility to build your own stuff. Maybe that's not the case?

I'm curious as well. I'd love to build a content pack, but I can't find the documentation on how to do that anywhere.

customized content packs aren't out yet...coming with GA. Whether or not that enables updating existing content packs...still an open question.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.