Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Alternative solution to column chart with multiple lines

I believe the following is on Power BI's wishlist, so I'm looking to get answers on alternative solutions:

Let's say we have a column chart that displays months on the X axis, and the columns indicate the sales per month for a clothing store.

barchart.png

I then want to apply lines on top of this, to see how each of my clothing categories are performing:

linesontop.PNG

Now, already here, this is to my knowledge not possible in Power BI. This 'chart' was created using a Line Chart and putting it on top of the column chart, and removing the Y and X axis. My first problem occurs when I drill down to see weeks and specific dates. Now, data in both charts extend past what their window can show, and I need to scroll in both charts hoping to align the data perfectly.

Additionally, I want to attach a custom-slicer to the Line Chart, to easily switch between different data:

filterincluded.PNG

This custom-slicer can be made creating a temp-table with crossjoins on the columns (Category and Region), and a switch-measure. Easy peasy.

Is what I'm trying to accomplish possible in any way in Power BI? Does Python or R have the capabilities to do this? Or are there any other ways to solve my issue? 

2 REPLIES 2
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi Preben,

I want to know whether the data of bar chart and line chart are from two different table, and whether they are not related.

If they have relationship , you could use line and column chart to achieve this goal. You could refer to my sample

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dax hi, thank you for your reply.

Let's suppose the data is all in the same table. But what if in the slicer we want 50 options, with various amounts of suboptions/lines? There could be 10 categories, 28 regions, and so on, and the graph needs to tell me what each of them are. In your examplefile they're static and called line a and line b. Is this possible? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.