Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Alternative methods for incremental refresh for PowerBI Pro

For starters, I don't have the premium service so as far as i am aware do not have the access to the incremental refresh feature on the desktop. Although following the various articles on how a premium user would use incremental refresh i am able to do quite a few steps..

1. As per below image, i am able to go into Options and tick "Incremental Refresh Policies". From there, as per the various articles/forum posts go into query editor (manage parameters) and set a RangeStart and RangeEnd date

which are then applied as a custom date filter on a date column. I then close query editor and right click the query in the field section of the report layout.

Annotation 2019-05-21 163933.png

When I do this, i get the following pop up which comes up with an error. Following the instructions online, it appears that the "native query" is deselected in each of the applied steps. Not sure if this is because of the file source being a folder instead of from a SQL server, or that i don't have PowerBI Premium..

Annotation 2019-05-21 163732.png

Regardless of the fact, it appears it is not possible for me to incrementally refresh from when my source data is from a folder in which there is numerous files within this. As the year has progressed, and the volume of files has increased the time it takes to refresh a query is taking longer and longer. 

Is anyone aware of any workarounds/loopholes/tricks on if it is possible to enable some sort of feature where it stores all the historic files and only looks into the most recent (say 5 days) worth of files to speed up the process? Whether this be on the PowerBI service or desktop...

1 REPLY 1
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous wrote:

Is anyone aware of any workarounds/loopholes/tricks on if it is possible to enable some sort of feature where it stores all the historic files and only looks into the most recent (say 5 days) worth of files to speed up the process? Whether this be on the PowerBI service or desktop...

No, the only options for incremental processing is Power BI Premium or using Analysis Services (on prem) or Azure Analysis Services. The standard Power BI service and desktop don't expose the API's required to do this.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.