Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

iNenadnano
Frequent Visitor

Alternate states functionality

Hello community.

I would like to know if there is any way to achieve "alternate states" functionality in the current version of Power BI? (link to alternate states description from another BI software vendor)

Explanation through an example:

Alternate States allow you to have two expressions on the same chart that you can drive the selections on common dimensions independently.

For example Expression1 can show sales of product A,B,C whilst Expression2 can show sales of product X,Y, Z.

If you try this without alternate states, selecting poduct A,B,C will affect both charts.

Alternate states allow you to create two product list boxes, one is linked to State1, the other to State2.

Expression1 is linked to State1 selections and Expression2 to State2 selections.

Selections in the State1 list boxes only affect Expression1.

Selections in the State2 list boxes only affect Expression2.

If not, are there any plans to implement such a feature?

Thanks,
Nenad

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

@iNenadnano,

Hi Nenad,

I' afraid this isn't available by now. I think we can find out a workaround if you provide a sample. Such as adding another column, hardcode the states in the formulas, etc. I hope you can submit an idea here: power-bi-ideas. Maybe we can have it in the near future. One thing you need to consider is this feature would be confusing to the end users. 

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

@iNenadnano,

Hi Nenad,

I' afraid this isn't available by now. I think we can find out a workaround if you provide a sample. Such as adding another column, hardcode the states in the formulas, etc. I hope you can submit an idea here: power-bi-ideas. Maybe we can have it in the near future. One thing you need to consider is this feature would be confusing to the end users. 

Best Regards!

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-jiascu-msft

Hi Dale,

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely submit it as an idea. The real-case scenario I'm facing is that the end users developed their BI reports in another tool for demo purposes, but given that they are entitled to Power BI on-prem, they would like to replicate these reports and deploy them, instead of buying another piece of software. Main goal of these reports is to be able to dynamicaly compare different scenarios. Data warehouse structure looks something like in the attached photo.

DataSource.PNG

So, the thing they would like to accomplish is represented in another photo. I could not use real data, so I had to create a quick mockup. The idea is to have 3 pairs of slices (scenario-year), and by choosing the wanted combination, graph on the right would change and display 3 different lines for the selected combination. I solved this particular problem by combining these 6 slicers into one, and using the scenario-year combination as the slicer value. However, beside the line graph, existing reports were also able to display the KPI value based on these same slicires. So, if one was to choose scenario 1-year 2017 for one slicer pair, scenario 2-year 2017 for the other, and scenario 3-year 2016 for the third, two values in the report that represent KPIs (case 1 vs case 2 and case 1 vs case 3) would change accordingly. This is the part that I cannot figure how to solve. I have hard coded for the case of comparisson between current and previous year, but that was all. 

Report.PNG

Any additional ideas are most welcome.

Hi @iNenadnano,

Perhaps I don't have the background, so I don't know why to compare this way. Maybe this demo could be helpful:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw_2xCilYNOSWlZXa1FvYXB1WFU/view?usp=sharing

Maybe it's better to put Year-Scenario in the axis. And the custom visual "HerarchySlicer" could be helpful.  Alternate states functionality.JPG

Best Regards!

Dale

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

I am not sure about their reasons as well, but that's the way it is. Thank you very much for the example, I'll probably end up using it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.