Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jtjones0304
Frequent Visitor

Alternate Measure for Data Labels in a Column Chart

I am trying to create a column chart which uses a percentage measure for the column values in a column chart but display the absolute values as data labels.  I've also added a constant line at 100% for perspective which is available in a column chart.

I tried using a combo with the absolute measure values as line values, setting the stroke width to zero and enabling data labels.  However, combo charts do not allow constant lines so I can't show the 100% line.

Does anyone know of another possible workaround or a custom visual which will do this?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you for the quick response.

I figured out a workaround.  What I'm ultimately looking for is to display different data labels than the measure used in values and want the labels to display at the bottom of the chart.  

1. I created a combo chart with the alternate data label measure as the line
  2. Set line stroke width to zero
  3. Set the secondary Y axis label text to white to match the background to make it dissappear
  4. Set the secondary Y axis minimum value to a very large number to force the line, and the labels, to the bottom of the scale
  5. Instead of using 100% line, used a stack bar with the remaining % to 100%.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@jtjones0304 not sure what you are looking for but you can add a constant line on the combo chart by using 2nd measure on the line value section of the combo chart, create a measure with a fixed value for constant line and put that on line value section, along with other measures. if I'm totally off track, share some screenshots that you are trying to achieve.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Thank you for the quick response.

I figured out a workaround.  What I'm ultimately looking for is to display different data labels than the measure used in values and want the labels to display at the bottom of the chart.  

1. I created a combo chart with the alternate data label measure as the line
  2. Set line stroke width to zero
  3. Set the secondary Y axis label text to white to match the background to make it dissappear
  4. Set the secondary Y axis minimum value to a very large number to force the line, and the labels, to the bottom of the scale
  5. Instead of using 100% line, used a stack bar with the remaining % to 100%.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.