Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

llawn001

Altering Source Data in Power BI

Hi Community,

I am currently working on a PowerBI dashboard to present during weekly status meetings to provide 3D data to help drill down on outstanding tasks. I am struggling with figuring out how to alter my underlying source data in PowerBI itself. I would like to be able to alter individual cells within my source spreadsheets attached to my dashboard.

This would allow me to take input from my audience in a live fashion without having to jump between excel and PowerBI. I know that there are currently features which allow users to enter data as a new table and also find/replace data in spreadsheets attached. But I can't seem to figure out exactly how to get the individual cells to update within the BI shell itself.

Could anyone please let me know if this sounds like something that is possible? Or is it a feature BI is currently lacking? 

Thank you for the help!

Luke Lawn

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@llawn001 sounds like your question is more around writing data back to the source , in this case it is excel. PowerBI doesn't have that functionality but you can embed PowerApp in PowerBI which is for data entry and allows to write data back to the source. Hope it answered your question.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@llawn001 sounds like your question is more around writing data back to the source , in this case it is excel. PowerBI doesn't have that functionality but you can embed PowerApp in PowerBI which is for data entry and allows to write data back to the source. Hope it answered your question.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Hi Parry,

Thanks for the quick response - do you have any literature on how I could embedd PowerApp into BI desktop? I think that sounds like a possible solution to the question I posed and would like to see if I can make it work.

@llawn001 there are lot of posts/blog on it, here is link to one. although you need to develop a powerappl (whcih is super easy) and that will get you started.

This looks to be exactly what I need, however I don't see any for data entry unfortunately. Is there a way that I can develop my own? I don't know that I would be able to tackle the development myself but I'd like to at least give it a shot.

@llawn001 yes you can develop your own. https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/

There are lot of videos, just sharing home page link, also you can search for powerapp to learn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.