Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cameronstubber

Alter web api query using parameter input from widgets

Hi Everyone,

I have tried to look for a solution or things to try, but so far have not been successful. Perhaps I am not sure of the correct terminology to use in Power BI, but here it goes.

What I am trying to do is download issues and issue history from cloud based JIRA via its Rest API. I have successfully connected to it and can download the projects, issues, users, etc.

What I need to do is to call the Issues and Issue History endpoint, but I need to provide a parameter for the Issue Key to get the changelog as follows:

https://<url>/rest/api/3/issue/{issueIdOrKey}/changelog

So, what I am trying to achieve is that on my PowerBI Dashboard, I have a slicer which is a dropdown list of all the projects. When you select a project, it should alter a query which collects all the issues in that project and puts them into an Issues Table.

Then, with the new list of Issue Keys, I want to collect the list of changes made to each of those issues and put those into a ChangeLog Table.

Once I have the ChangeLog Table, I will do some calculations to come up with some KPI's, like number of times in a status, number of people assigned, time taken between specific status, and so on.

So far I have a test function which accepts a parameter and I can invoke it via AddColumn. (I just did it for the project key as that is a small dataset to play with).

let function = (projectKey as text) => let
    Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://testsite.atlassian.net/rest/api/latest/project/" & projectKey))
in
    Source
in
    function

So with this, I can do AddColumn and get the project details for a list of Project Keys. But I dont understand how to get the value I selected in my slicer, and make it run the function with that parameter, if that is even possible.

1 REPLY 1
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi,@cameronstubber 

After my research, values by selected in slicer couldn't alter the query, and currently only  Home->Parameters -Manage Parameters  is supported to filter data source.

And for your requirement, you could post your new idea in Power BI ideas and make this feature coming sooner .

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.