cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jdejonge
Frequent Visitor

Alter visuals when using (set of) filter(s)

Hi All,

Reaching out to the community for this one!

My report has a page with data from two seperate datasets. These two datasets have a relationship, but not for all relevant data. I have several filters on this page. Some filters are relevant for all data and some filters are only relevant for some of the data. My question is about the latter. When I use these filters, which alters only part of the data on this page, some visuals do not get altered and still show data. This is expected, because there is no relationship possible on this level between the two datasets. Because this data does not change, users of the report get confused because they do assign value to all visuals in the report and start making wrong assumptions about the data they have been shown. Data should be on the same page, hence suggesting that I split this page into two pages is not the response i am looking for.

My question is this: Is it possible to assign a specific (for instance [blank]) value to some visuals when I use a specific (set of) filter(s). Or perhaps show a pop-up explaining why a specific part of the data is not altered, which also disappears again when I clear the filter?

I need something to let my users know that some of the data becomes irrelevant when they use some of the filters. Showing a standard message above the filters is not workable, because most users will only look at the data on not the accompanying text.

Have yet to find a solution to this challenge.

Best regards,

Joost

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Alter visuals when using (set of) filter(s)

HI @jdejonge ,

In fact, it is simple to coding formula, you can create a card visual with below measure to trace the filter status of 'column':

filter status =
IF ( ISFILTERED ( Table[Column] ), "filtered", "Not filted" )

BTW, current DAX functions not able to find out the difference between 'all selected' and 'not select', I think you also need to take care of this scenario when you deal with filter selections.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin Sheng
If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly
Learning resources: Power BI

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Community Support
Community Support

HI @jdejonge ,

I'd like to suggest you use ISFILTERED function to check specific fields with if statement and turn result 'filtered'/'not filtered' to notify users if any filter effect applies on a specific table.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly
jdejonge
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-shex-msft

Community Support
Community Support

HI @jdejonge ,

In fact, it is simple to coding formula, you can create a card visual with below measure to trace the filter status of 'column':

filter status =
IF ( ISFILTERED ( Table[Column] ), "filtered", "Not filted" )

BTW, current DAX functions not able to find out the difference between 'all selected' and 'not select', I think you also need to take care of this scenario when you deal with filter selections.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

View solution in original post

jdejonge
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-shex-msft,

This worked like a charm. Thank you so much!

Regards,

Joost 

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks Launched March 24th!

New Ranks Launched March 24th!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power BI Community!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Missed the Arun 'Triple A' event or want to revisit it? We've got you covered! Check out the video, Q&A, and slides now.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors