Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kimmend
Frequent Visitor

Allocation of general costs to products

Hello,

I have three products that get costs and revenue from three different departments. Some costs are not bookable straight to the products, but end up in a "general" column.

To split the costs from the general column into the products, an allocation key has been defined per product. This key is different for each department, but the general column is always emptied, and everything should be allocated to the products.

See a simplified example below.

bild.png

Is this possible to solve in Query Editor or DAX?

Br,

Kim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You can apply some trasformations within Power Query to get to the right format:

First load the Allocations table:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WckktSCwqyU3NK1FwVNJRMjZWRSFjdVCUOAGFjUzBkmDSxABDiTNQ2NAAJGkBJkHs2FgA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Department = _t, #"Product 1" = _t, #"Product 2" = _t, #"Product 3" = _t]),
    ChangedType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Department", type text}, {"Product 1", Percentage.Type}, {"Product 2", Percentage.Type}, {"Product 3", Percentage.Type}}),
    UnpivotedOtherColumns = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(ChangedType, {"Department"}, "Product", "Percentage")
in
    UnpivotedOtherColumns

then load the Sales table without General records:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WckktSCwqyU3NK1FwVNJRMjUAEoYGYNIIRFoaKMXqoChzAoqagKTMIWqhGtBUOSPLQdVaAFXFAgA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Department = _t, General = _t, #"Product 1" = _t, #"Product 2" = _t, #"Product 3" = _t]),
    ChangedType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Department", type text}, {"General", Int64.Type}, {"Product 1", Int64.Type}, {"Product 2", Int64.Type}, {"Product 3", Int64.Type}}),
    UnpivotedOtherColumns = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(ChangedType, {"Department"}, "Product", "Amount"),
    FilteredRows = Table.SelectRows(UnpivotedOtherColumns, each ([Product] <> "General"))
in
    FilteredRows

and this will get you to the final Sales that you can load to your model, you do not need to load the previous 2 to the data model:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WckktSCwqyU3NK1FwVNJRMjUAEoYGYNIIRFoaKMXqoChzAoqagKTMIWqhGtBUOSPLQdVaAFXFAgA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Department = _t, General = _t, #"Product 1" = _t, #"Product 2" = _t, #"Product 3" = _t]),
    ChangedType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Department", type text}, {"General", Int64.Type}, {"Product 1", Int64.Type}, {"Product 2", Int64.Type}, {"Product 3", Int64.Type}}),
    UnpivotedOtherColumns = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(ChangedType, {"Department"}, "Product", "Amount"),
    FilteredRows = Table.SelectRows(UnpivotedOtherColumns, each ([Product] = "General")),
    MergedQueries = Table.NestedJoin(FilteredRows,{"Department"},Allocations,{"Department"},"Allocations",JoinKind.Inner),
    ExpandedAllocations = Table.ExpandTableColumn(MergedQueries, "Allocations", {"Product", "Percentage"}, {"Product.1", "Percentage"}),
    InsertedMultiplication = Table.AddColumn(ExpandedAllocations, "Multiplication", each [Amount] * [Percentage], type number),
    RemovedOtherColumns = Table.SelectColumns(InsertedMultiplication,{"Department", "Product.1", "Multiplication"}),
    RenamedColumns = Table.RenameColumns(RemovedOtherColumns,{{"Product.1", "Product"}, {"Multiplication", "Amount"}}),
    AppendedQuery = Table.Combine({RenamedColumns, SalesProdcuts})
in
    AppendedQuery

Did I answer your question correctly? Mark my answer as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
LivioLanzo
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @kimmend

could you post your original data set in a copyable format?

thx

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

Hi @LivioLanzo, hopefully this helps:

Starting point:

GeneralProduct 1Product 2Product 3Total
Department A5010012090360
Department B407010100220
Department C101007080260
Total100270200270840

Allocation key for General costs to Products:

Product 1Product 2Product 3
Department A33 %33 %33 %
Department B25 %35 %40 %
Department C10 %80 %

10 %

Desired end result:

GeneralProduct 1Product 2Product 3Total
Department A0117137107360
Department B08024116220
Department C01017881260
Total0298239304840

You can apply some trasformations within Power Query to get to the right format:

First load the Allocations table:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WckktSCwqyU3NK1FwVNJRMjZWRSFjdVCUOAGFjUzBkmDSxABDiTNQ2NAAJGkBJkHs2FgA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Department = _t, #"Product 1" = _t, #"Product 2" = _t, #"Product 3" = _t]),
    ChangedType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Department", type text}, {"Product 1", Percentage.Type}, {"Product 2", Percentage.Type}, {"Product 3", Percentage.Type}}),
    UnpivotedOtherColumns = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(ChangedType, {"Department"}, "Product", "Percentage")
in
    UnpivotedOtherColumns

then load the Sales table without General records:

let
    FilteredRows = Table.SelectRows(UnpivotedOtherColumns, each ([Product] <> "General"))
in
    FilteredRows

and this will get you to the final Sales that you can load to your model, you do not need to load the previous 2 to the data model:

let
    FilteredRows = Table.SelectRows(UnpivotedOtherColumns, each ([Product] = "General")),
    MergedQueries = Table.NestedJoin(FilteredRows,{"Department"},Allocations,{"Department"},"Allocations",JoinKind.Inner),
    ExpandedAllocations = Table.ExpandTableColumn(MergedQueries, "Allocations", {"Product", "Percentage"}, {"Product.1", "Percentage"}),
    InsertedMultiplication = Table.AddColumn(ExpandedAllocations, "Multiplication", each [Amount] * [Percentage], type number),
    RemovedOtherColumns = Table.SelectColumns(InsertedMultiplication,{"Department", "Product.1", "Multiplication"}),
    RenamedColumns = Table.RenameColumns(RemovedOtherColumns,{{"Product.1", "Product"}, {"Multiplication", "Amount"}}),
    AppendedQuery = Table.Combine({RenamedColumns, SalesProdcuts})
in
    AppendedQuery

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

Thanks @LivioLanzo, this works! I simulated the result for the simplified test case, now I just need to test it on the real life case. Smiley Very Happy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.