Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kaizu80
Frequent Visitor

Allocating costs form one deartment to another

Hi there!

I have a P&L-report in Power BI and what is needed to be set up is:

- company total that includes 4 departments  - this is done

- department total with 2 of the (Sales) departments "carrying" the costs of the two other departmens (Admin&Common)

I have the company total working fine and the department levels also, but... I need a measure (or column) that collects the costs from the two non-profit departments and and show them as a value in the two departments that are supposed to carry the company result.

The most simple way is to divide my measure "Gross Margin" with predetermined percentages, but I do not have the knowledge on how to get the allocated costs show up when I have the sales department filtering the P&L statement.

Thank you for the help!

Kaj 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Kaizu80,

I reproduce your scenario get expected result, please see the steps below.

1. Create a new table including Department, please confirm there no relationship between Department table and your resource table. Here, I type your sample table in Table3.

2.PNG  3.png

2. Create a measure using the following formula.

Measure = IF (
    HASONEVALUE ( Department[Department]),
    SWITCH(FIRSTNONBLANK(Department[Department],Department[Department])
    ,"Common",CALCULATE(SUM(Table3[Debet]),FILTER(Table3,Table3[Department]="Common"))
    , "Sales",(CALCULATE(SUM(Table3[Debet]),FILTER(Table3,Table3[Department]="Sales"))+ (CALCULATE(SUM(Table3[Debet]),FILTER(Table3,Table3[Department]="Common"))*0.56)))
    , SUM(Table3[Debet])     
    )

3. Create a slicer including Department[Department], table visual including Department[Department],Table3[Account], Table3[Measure] and Table3[Credit]. Please see the following screenshot. There is no filter in slicer shown in first picture, there is "Common" filter shown in second picture, and there is "Common" filter shown in third picture.

Picture1Picture1Picture2Picture2Picture3Picture3

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Kaizu80,

It's hard to reproduce your scenario without sample data, you'd better post some sample data, so that we can post the solution which is close to your requirement.

Thanks,
Angelia

pl2.jpgHi!

I can't screenshot the original data, because it immediately reveals the company names etc. But here's how the data basically looks like.

- The account 4000 is already counted together right as a measure "Variable costs" in my P&L statement

When no department filter is chosen the amount is right. The same goes with the departments selection "Common".

But what is needed is that when you choose the filter department "Sales", it shows of course the original data from the books that are directly posted to that department and adds the predetermined percentage of the Variable costs of the department "Common".

So interaction is what I need. A measure that will not be counted/shown when no department-filters are chosen and when some filters are chosen, the amount will be taken into account in the P&L statement.

This might be something that will be solved with HASONEFILTER, ISFILTERED functions, but I cannot figure out how.

Hi @Kaizu80,

I reproduce your scenario get expected result, please see the steps below.

1. Create a new table including Department, please confirm there no relationship between Department table and your resource table. Here, I type your sample table in Table3.

2.PNG  3.png

2. Create a measure using the following formula.

Measure = IF (
    HASONEVALUE ( Department[Department]),
    SWITCH(FIRSTNONBLANK(Department[Department],Department[Department])
    ,"Common",CALCULATE(SUM(Table3[Debet]),FILTER(Table3,Table3[Department]="Common"))
    , "Sales",(CALCULATE(SUM(Table3[Debet]),FILTER(Table3,Table3[Department]="Sales"))+ (CALCULATE(SUM(Table3[Debet]),FILTER(Table3,Table3[Department]="Common"))*0.56)))
    , SUM(Table3[Debet])     
    )

3. Create a slicer including Department[Department], table visual including Department[Department],Table3[Account], Table3[Measure] and Table3[Credit]. Please see the following screenshot. There is no filter in slicer shown in first picture, there is "Common" filter shown in second picture, and there is "Common" filter shown in third picture.

Picture1Picture1Picture2Picture2Picture3Picture3

Best Regards,
Angelia

Thank you Angelia! Smiley Happy

That works just the right way. Next time you visit Finland, I'll buy you a cup of coffee Smiley Very Happy

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@Kaizu80 its so much easier to work out what you are asking if you provide screen shots of your data and what it is your expect?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Sorry, of course it would be easier.

I have a measure that basically has the needed data:

Allocatable costs = CALCULATE([GROSS MARGIN];FILTER(Departments;Departments[Department]="Common"))

From somewhere I have picked up a Measure that works pretty good, but the wrong way 🙂

Allocated, sales = if(OR(hasonevalue(Departments[Department])=False;values(Departments[Department])="Sales"); [Allocatable costs]*,56)

That calculates the right amount but what I want is to show and use the result in the P&L statement when the Filter "Sales" is chosen.

@Kaizu80

i am confused as to why this wont work with a filter what issue are you getting?  can you provide screen shots of how  your data is laid out?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

One example:

The company total Variable costs are 500k€.

When no Department-filters have been chosen, the costs should be 500k€.

The Department "Common" has 200k€ Variable costs.

The "Sales" department has 150k€ Variable costs.

When the Department "Sales" is chosen as a filter, the Variable costs are: 150k€+(200k€*56%)

Kaj

@Kaizu80

so are you saying when a filter with sales is selected it should be this calculation

salesvalue€+(commonvalue€*56%)

where does the 56% come in, is the same everytime?

@vanessafvg Yes, just like that. When "Sales" is selected, it should calculate like that.

The value comes from budget numbers and will stay the same everytime.

The figure is someting like: the percentage of company total variable costs that the Sales department uses for it's operating process.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.