Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Allocate Budget within FactSales/FactInvoice or create separate FactBudget Table?

Hey all,

Some background:

I am trying to figure out best practice for setting up my budget within my data model.

Currently:

My company uses multiple Consultants for different Projects for a specific Department within the company. Consultants submit budgets for a Project. Projects can be as short as a couple of months, to as long many, many years. Thus, Consultants do not submit budgets annualy like most examples on the forum I've seen. Consultants submit Invoices billing the Company. Thus, my Fact Table = FactInvoiceHeader.

I've seen 3 common scenarios of Budgets within a data model:

1) Create an allocation factor and distribute the Budget within the FactInvoice Table,

2) Create a separate FactBudget Table and using bridge/filter tables build a relationship with the FactInvoiceHeader Table,

3)  Create a separate FactBudget Table and use it as a virtual table (#3 is not an option)

Currently I use Scenario #1 (allocate a budget amount from the Project level to the Invoice Level). But I'm asking because Scenario #2 makes a lot of sense to me since you can literally set a budget for the year in a table.I ask because I've seen many examples use Scenario #2 in which they add the measure keys which they want to slice with (Here, 'Consultant Key', 'Project Key', 'Department Key', and then the date component (i.e. 'Invoice Paid Date'(the Date the Invoice was Paid).

The question:

Of scenarios #1 & #2 which is best practice? 

Thanks a million!

1 REPLY 1
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

personally I use both pattern, #1 and #2.

At the current moment i tend to use a relationship based approach as a budget sometimes exists on an aggregated level, this is one of use cases for many-to-many relationships.

Maybe this article fill provide additional insights: https://www.daxpatterns.com/budget-patterns/

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.