Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

AllExcept is messing up filter

Here is my scenario (simplified): 

I have a reference table: TableA

IDdescription
Athis is item A
Bthis is Item B
Cthis is Item C

And a detail table: TableB

Item IDCategoryQuantity
ABikes1
ABikes1
ACars1
BBikes1
BCars1
CCars1
CCars1

There is a one:many relationship between TableA->TableB on the item id.

Here is what I want:

• first filter Table B by Category = "Cars",
  • but then add a measure that sums all of the quantities when Category = "Bikes"
  • include item description from TableA

I tried the following measure, and then adding description but it seems like calculate (or allexcept) is messing up filter context when I try to drag in "description" from TableA.

Bikes Quantity = CALCULATE(SUM(Table2[Quantity]), ALLEXCEPT(Table2, Table2[Item ID]), Table2[Category]="Bikes")

correct and incorrrect.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous

You can get your measure to work as well. You just need a few filters on the category. They do it in a slightly different way but you can get to what you want.

measure4.PNG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
gooranga1
Power Participant
Power Participant

you could try this

Bikes Quantity 1 = CALCULATE(SUM(TableB[Quantity]), filter(ALL(TableB),TableB[Item ID]=max(TableB[Item ID]) && TableB[Category]="Bikes"))

But you would need to include the Quantity column for it to show and it would be blank rather than 0 which isn't ideal.

measure1.PNG

you could do it with a slightly different formula

Bikes Quantity 1 = if(ISBLANK( CALCULATE(SUM(TableB[Quantity]), filter(ALL(TableB),TableB[Item ID]=max(TableB[Item ID]) && TableB[Category]="Bikes"))),0, CALCULATE(SUM(TableB[Quantity]), filter(ALL(TableB),TableB[Item ID]=max(TableB[Item ID]) && TableB[Category]="Bikes")))

Set category to be "First"

measure3.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gooranga1Thanks for the query, seems to be working! Any chance you could go into some detail as to how this is working (what's actually happening?)

Hi @Anonymous

You can get your measure to work as well. You just need a few filters on the category. They do it in a slightly different way but you can get to what you want.

measure4.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.