Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MrNoob
Helper II
Helper II

All / slicer issue, discards data

Having an issue, so i work for an airline, and trying to take the sum of all passengers (Industry PAX), my formula works at the macro level, but when you get down to specific markets it starts to mess up.  

Example.  New York to Argentina.  There are 3 airports in New York,  Some airlines fly to one, others fly to the rest.  Lufthansa does not really fly that specific route, so when selecting Lufthansa the Industry total changes to only Lufthansa booking.  Which would be EWR (airport code)  and ignores the other 2 airports, even though they are selected in the slicer.

It's a simple-ish issue but hard to explain.

So I need my measure to bring in JFK and LGA data as well even though Lufthansa does not fly there

IND PAX = CALCULATE(sum('table'[pax]),ALL('table1'[JV carrier]))  

If i ignore the airport code slicer i get the wrong answer

My desired outcome would be when selecting more than one airport code, to gauge each airline evenly compared to the industry total

7 REPLIES 7
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MrNoob

It is not clear about your example.

It is better to share a example(not realistic) dataset and expected result. 

for example:

table1->airports information

table2->air company information

table3->airlines information

relationships among tables

which columns added in the slicer

which slicer level to select, then what should be the result

Best Regards

Maggie

Hello all, 

Thank you for the replies,  I have created a sample data set and recreated the issue, i am wishing to correct.  I need the IND PAX number to not change when selecting the different carriers.  

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aga7ypCzQZ2yjl4yxphW0knm-YQ2

@MrNoob whcih slicer on this sample report refers to different carriers?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@MrNoob thanks for providing the data.  I am with @v-juanli-msft above although I have no issue with realistic data (actually I think this is better).  What you have provided is not a good approach, especially in this case.  This is a non-trivial problem to be solved.  There is not 1 easy magic formula that you are overlooking - it is a complex problem that will require good table design as well as (likely) some tricky DAX.  To solve the issue, you will need to set up tables like specified by @v-juanli-msft above.  You will also need to set up a matrix showing what your formula does now, and what numbers you expect to see.  It is often useful to show a working example in Excel to clearly desccribe the problem.  You know what you want but we don't, so you need to help us help you.

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

In continuation to @MattAllington email, there is great blog by Greg, please take a look at it.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

I am sorry, it is the slicer that is label Mktg_carr_cd.  It has 2 letters like AC, UA, LH and so on listed in it.

If you post a realistic sample DB with non sensitive data, I will take a look for you. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.