I am new to PBI Maps. I read through all the Microsoft articles which shows various Maps.
Now, I am prototyping using a Shape Map. Reason, I have a TopoJSON file with boundaries in it properly defined by our GIS Admin for the state, let's assume "Wisconsin" or "Illinois" .
Here is the sample data - which is actually a CSV file (Source) [Census Data]
1) I need to use the colored columns in the map.
- Income1 is placed in Location
- County Name is placed in Legend
- Total is placed in Color saturation
2) I want to display the "TOTAL" column values (actual values as in CSV) in the shape map. How to do this?
3) I am not able to display/show all the records in the map. For example: I do not see Adams County in my Shape map. What might be the reason?
The Shape Map visual will plot up to a maximum of 1,000 data points. Is this the reason I am not able to show all the data?
4) Do I need to use some other 'Map' instead of Shape Map if the issue is because of the max 1,000 data points? If yes, which Map to use?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Do you have more than 1,000 data points?
Proud to be a Datanaut!
Thanks for the reply @Greg_Deckler. I have a total of 4500 records in the CSV.
I was about to ask this in this thread. I missed it.
How & where do I check how many data points are there in my map report? I am not able to tell this because I am not getting all the records in the map itself.
Proud to be a Datanaut!
I tried the SUMMARIZE function. Is this correct?
Table = SUMMARIZE(nhgis0023_ds225_20165_2016_blck_grp, nhgis0023_ds225_20165_2016_blck_grp[County Name], nhgis0023_ds225_20165_2016_blck_grp[Income1], "Total", SUM(nhgis0023_ds225_20165_2016_blck_grp[Total]))
I can see all the records when put in a table visual but not in the Shape Map. Any solution that you can think of?
My next step is checking the TopoJSON file Admin to see all the polygons are defined correctly.
1) I think you should add a Text field which can uniquely identify area to "Location" of Map, like city name, country name or state name. Otherwise, the map cannot recognise the location name you added to this section and would display nothing.
2) It looks like we cannot show numeric on Map visual. Maybe you could add [Total] to "Tooltip", when you hover over a specific area, it would show corresponding total value.
3) After dragging relative fields to Map visual, you won't see a map yet. In the Format settings pane, expand Shape, and select from the Standard Maps drop-down to show your data. At this point the rendering appears. Reference: Create Shape Map