Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

diogobraga2
Helper IV
Helper IV

Aligning records between two visualizations

What is the best way to align records from different visuals in Power BI? The pbix file is here

See the example below, there is a matrix and a 100% stacked bar visuals that needs to be aligned by school name, including when school names change when the Region filter is applied. 

2019-12-22_1245.png2019-12-22_1246.png

8 REPLIES 8
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@diogobraga2 

It might be worth checking out the custom visuals offered by Zebra. They are pretty incredible and may have a solution to what you are after:

Zebra Table Visuals 

you can see a summary of the their new offering in the December PBI update video, starting at minute 22:40

PBI December update 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @diogobraga2 

Based on your description, I tried to open the link you provided but failed. So I created visuals based on some other sample data to reproduce the scenario.

Firstly, you can click ‘Edit Query’, go to query Editor, choose ‘Add Column’, select ‘Index Column’, click ‘Close and Apply’.

d1.png

Secondly, In my example the target column is ‘ProductName’. You may select the target column, choose ‘Modeling’ , click ‘Sort by Column’, make ‘Index’ selected.

d2.png

Result:

d3.png

If I misunderstand your thought, please show me your sample data. I am glad to solve the problem for you.

Best Regards,

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-alq-msft thanks for your help. For me, it gets challenging when applying the region filter. Can you please check and show your solution in the sample pbix provided? 

Here's the link, let me know if you can't open it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DAJ_r1p9LsgTqANchQQ3CcEcT_En6tLF

Hi, @diogobraga2 

Thank you for providing your pbix file. However, I can't create index column in Query Editor because I have no access to datasource.

It is easy to operate as my last reply. You may create an index column in Query Editor. Then you can make 'School Code' column selected. Finally, you may click 'Sort by Column' and select the 'Index' column in the 'Modeling' area.

You can try to do it as above and tell me the reslut. Thanks.

Best Regards
Allan

Thanks @v-alq-msft , I uploaded the datasources. Each region has different number of schools, hence my issue.

@v-alq-msft , keep in the mind that by 'aligning records' I literally mean having records from both visuals appear in the same line. I was able to achieve this in Tableau and it works when selecting different regions. See example below. 

2019-12-24_0845.png

Any insights? I am assuming this is not possible in Power BI.

Hi, @diogobraga2 

I have tried serval times. You can keep the order of corresponding column same. However, It is unsupported to align the corresponding records. You may post a new idea in Idea Forum, and add your comments there to improve Power BI for making this feature coming sooner. Here is the link. Thanks.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Best Regards

Allan

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.