Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

zudar
Post Patron
Post Patron

Aggregation problem in calculated column

EDIT: Link to PBIX-file: ShopInfo

Hi all!

I could use some help wrapping my head around the following issue:

I have three tables in my model:

model.JPG

They look like:

tables.JPG

Now I've created the following table using these tables:

result.JPG

Now, I want another column in this table that will divide the number of Employees over the YearlySales. So..

ProductIDEmployeesYearlySalesYearlySales per Employee

In the table, I have ticked the 'Don't Summarize' options for the columns 'Employees' and 'YearlySales'.

But as I try to create a measure or calculated column in the ShopInfo-table which just divides both values, the formula editor requires me to enforce some kind of aggregation (max, min, sum, etc...) before being able to include the YearlySales. Which in turn messes up the calculation.. 😞

Any ideas on how to solve this? I'm even questioning if I should create a measure or calculated column. Help is very much appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Right, if you use a measure, you will need to use an aggregation, just use MAX if your output is a table visualization.

If your output that you show is an actual table, you can create a calculated column and not have to use aggregation.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
zudar
Post Patron
Post Patron

Link to PBIX-file: ShopInfo 

Measure = MAX('Products'[YearlySales]) / MAX('ShopInfo'[Employees])

As I stated in my original reply, you need to use a measure and when using a measure, you need to use an aggregation and I indicated that you should likely go with MAX.

PBIX is attached but it is updated to latest version.

Latest book!:

zudar
Post Patron
Post Patron

Help!? 😭

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Right, if you use a measure, you will need to use an aggregation, just use MAX if your output is a table visualization.

If your output that you show is an actual table, you can create a calculated column and not have to use aggregation.

Latest book!:

My output is supposed to be an actual table, just as I showed in the initial question.

When I create a calculated column (within any of the included tables), I still run into the issue of having some type of aggregation.

• In Products, I can use 'YearlySales', but not 'Employees' in my DIVIDE(...) formula (or even using the '/' operator) without aggregating it first.
  • In Shops, I can't use either 'YearlySales' nor 'Employees' in my DIVIDE(...) formula (or even using the '/' operator) without aggregating them first.
  • In ShopInfo, I can use 'Employees', but not 'YearlySales' in my DIVIDE(...) formula (or even using the '/' operator) without aggregating them first.

In all cases, whenever I use MAX(...), MIN(...), SUM(...), AVERAGE(...) to aggregate the field that 'needs' aggregation, I don't get the result I need.. 😞

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.