Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jjlek
Frequent Visitor

Aggregation feature issue: "No column mapping" error

Hi,

In order to increase performance in our main sales datamodel, we have been looking into the aggregation feature. I was really excited to learn that this feature exists, however I can't quite get it to work. 

I have followed all instructions and created an aggregated sales table in addition to my sales detail table. While testing the feature in a test workbook, I was able to get the aggregation feature to work as expected.

In the production model I have an additional fact table that keeps track of related stock movements, this table shares some dimensions with the sales table, like time and company. However, after adding the aggregated table in the same way to this model, I've been running into issues where the aggregation is actually skipped on any level other than the total sums.

I've connected DAX studio and the see there that the aggregation attempt has failed and that the reason for this was: "no column mapping". However, the relationship to the involved dimension is correctly defined. I've also tried activating the group by column definition in the aggregation setup, but this also didn't solve it.

Something else I found interesting is that when I tried to switch the aggregation table to import I am not prompted to turn the related dimesion to Dual mode. Could this be because in some way the relationship was already weak? In all the examples I found for using the aggregations table, there was always just one fact table involved.

My question is as follows:

Is the fact that my aggregation doesn't work, related to the fact that the dimension is already shared by a third table (a second detail table)? Or is there another potential reason for this behaviour?

1 REPLY 1
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jjlek ,

Just based on your description, I don't know how it was caused.  And I think you connect the data source with Direct query mode. Right? If so, I think the engineers in the community can't test your sample. Maybe you could create a support ticket to get a dedicated support. In this way, your personal data can't be exposed and you could solve it quickly.  

How to create a support ticket in Power BI 

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Kudos are nice too.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.