Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Aggregating matrix on level in the hierarchy

Hello, 

I'm having some trouble getting the intended I wish. In the table below, The green level is calculated using the values of the blue rectangles. However, for the visualization to make sense It would need to take on the average of the hierarchy right below, the orange circles. 

Basically I'd like that the average status of a level would take into account the average of the level right after in the hierarchy, instead of the values in the most granular level. 

pcaldeira_0-1599846095930.png

Thanks,

Pedro Caldeira

6 REPLIES 6
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Could you please provide some sample data and your desired result? For example, you have the table in the below screen shot. What's the correct value for D1 and D2 with the red circle? Please provide the calculation logic or formula. Like D1=(E1+E2)/2?

matrix with hierarchy level.JPG

Best Regards

Rena 

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @v-yiruan-msft ,

That is exactly the calculation we wish. For D1 the value would be (E1+E2)/2=(13.00+9.00)/2 = 11. For D2 the value would be (E3 + E4)/2  = (19.50 + 20)/2 = 19.75, which isn't the result that was calculated (19.67). 

The idea would also be to let the user skip a level. For instance, skipping level C, the the Calculation for C1 would be the average of E1 and E2, and For C2 would be the average of E3 and E4.

For a first instance, we would like to know how to achieve the calculations given in the first paragraph (D2=(E3 + E4)/2  = (19.50 + 20)/2 = 19.75 and D1 = (E1+E2)/2=(13.00+9.00)/2 = 11)

Thank you,

Best Regards,

Pedro

Hi @Anonymous ,

I created a sample pbix file base on your requirement, please check if that is what you want. The following 2 measures has been created in the file.

Average of level 5 = 
CALCULATE (
    AVERAGE ( 'Table'[Value] ),
    FILTER (
        'Table',
        'Table'[Level] = MAX ( 'Table'[Level] )
            && 'Table'[Level 1] = MAX ( 'Table'[Level 1] )
            && 'Table'[Level 2] = MAX ( 'Table'[Level 2] )
            && 'Table'[Level 3] = MAX ( 'Table'[Level 3] )
            && 'Table'[Level 4] = MAX ( 'Table'[Level 4] )
    )
)
Average value = 
VAR _avgValue =
    CALCULATE ( AVERAGE ( 'Table'[Value] ) )
VAR _tab =
    SUMMARIZE (
        'Table',
        'Table'[Level],
        'Table'[Level 1],
        'Table'[Level 2],
        'Table'[Level 3],
        "avgofl4", SUMX ( VALUES ( 'Table'[Level 4] ), [Average of level 5] )
    )
VAR _sumofAvg =
    MAXX ( _tab, [avgofl4] )
VAR _countoflvl4 =
    CALCULATE (
        DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'Table'[Level 4] ),
        FILTER (
            'Table',
            'Table'[Level] = MAX ( 'Table'[Level] )
                && 'Table'[Level 1] = MAX ( 'Table'[Level 1] )
                && 'Table'[Level 2] = MAX ( 'Table'[Level 2] )
                && 'Table'[Level 3] = MAX ( 'Table'[Level 3] )
        )
    )
RETURN
    IF (
        ISFILTERED ( 'Table'[Level 3] ) && NOT ( ISFILTERED ( 'Table'[Level 4] ) ),
        DIVIDE ( _sumofAvg, _countoflvl4 ),
        _avgValue
    )

Aggregating matrix on level in the hierarchy_2.JPG

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yiruan-msft,

Thank you for your prompt response,

This did achieve the intended value we wish for , for the one exact level in the hierarchy I presented, not for the whole hierarchy.

The higher levels, will continue to show the incorrect value (which is still based on the lowest hierarchy.

In the mockup data, as an example, we wish that the value for A is (B1 +B2)/2 = (23.8 + 21.75)/2 ~= 22,78 and not A=22,89  which comes from SUM (Fi={1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9})/Count(Fi={1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}) = (31 + 17 +19 + 27 + 25 + 22 + 25 + 20 + 20) / 9 ~=22,89

Following the pattern you provided I believe we can hardcode the calculation for the correct value for each higher levels but I was wondering if there is a more elegant way of generalizing this calculation for all levels within the context. With this I mean:

Ei = SUM (F Levels in Ei)/ COUNT (F Levels in Ei),

Di = SUM (E Levels in Di)/ COUNT (E Levels in Di),

Ci = SUM (D Levels in Ci)/ COUNT (D Levels in Ci), all the way up to A

Best regards,

Pedro

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Not very clear. But if you want the subtotal to different from what automatically comes you can use isinscope

https://www.kasperonbi.com/use-isinscope-to-get-the-right-hierarchy-level-in-dax/

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous I think you want MM3TR&R - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Matrix-Measure-Total-Triple-Threat-Rock-amp-Roll/m-p/411443#M150

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.