Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BekahLoSurdo
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Aggregating columns in different ways for the same instance

I have a financial dataset with multiple values (total contract value, revenue, etc.) per project rolled up by month. Sample data:

ProjectContract ValueBudget RevenueDate.Month
ABC2000001/1/2017
ABC20000 2/1/2017
ABC3000003/1/2017
ABC40000600004/1/2017
ABC5000005/1/2017
DEF10000 1/1/2017
DEF20000 2/1/2017
DEF50000200003/1/2017
DEF30000300004/1/2017
DEF20000400005/1/2017
GHI70000 1/1/2019
GHI7000002/1/2019
GHI80000600003/1/2019
GHI70000200004/1/2019
GHI9000005/1/2019

I am attempting to summarize it in a data model with an eye on performance (the actual dataset is much larger with more values per project). The issue is that I have different qualifications for which values should prevail per project i.e.:

- The most recent month's Contract Value per project

- The most recent non-zero, non-blank Budget Revenue per project

Expected result:

ProjectContract ValueBudget Revenue
ABC5000060000
DEF2000040000
GHI9000020000

Since the qualifications are independent from one another (ultimate values could be from different rows), I'm having trouble doing this with less than four tables - and that's for this simplified example. Being new to DAX, I am fairly certain that I'm missing a simplification step here in the way of a nested query or something. 

Thank you in advance!

Tables:

Data (original dataset)

FilteredBudRev =
CALCULATETABLE ( Data,
FILTER ( Data, Data[Budget Revenue] <> 0 )
)
BudRevResult =
SELECTCOLUMNS (
FILTER ( FilteredBudRev, FilteredBudRev[Date.Month]=FilteredBudRev[MaxBudRevDate] ),
"Project", FilteredBudRev[Project],
"Budget Revenue", FilteredBudRev[Budget Revenue]
)
ContractResult =
SELECTCOLUMNS (
FILTER ( Data, Data[Date.Month]=Data[MaxOverallDate] ),
"Project", Data[Project],
"Contract Value", Data[Contract Value]
)
Tables.PNGModel.PNG

Basically, I created a new table based on the original dataset that only contains the valid values for Budget Revenue. Then I created columns in each of these tables to show the max date per project (within the unique properties of each table). Then I created two more tables (one for Contract Value and one for Budget Revenue) that contained the values of these measures on their respective max dates. Finally, I created a relationship between these two tables to concatenate these columns together to get my expected result. Too convoluted, right?

Calculated Columns:
MaxOverallDate =
CALCULATE (
MAX ( Data[Date.Month] ),
ALLEXCEPT ( Data, Data[Project] )
)
MaxBudRevDate =
CALCULATE (
MAX ( FilteredBudRev[Date.Month] ),
ALLEXCEPT ( FilteredBudRev, FilteredBudRev[Project] )
)

Budget Revenue = RELATED ( BudRevResult[Budget Revenue])
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BekahLoSurdo 

If i understand correctly from your information, you worked so complicatedly to solve your problem, you want a simple way instead.

Per your requirements, to get better performance for a large data, instead of create calculated table, 

1. if you want to filter data without 0 values/null, you could filter "Budget Revenue" column in Edit queries,

in this way, it doesn't need to create a new table.

4.png

2.If you need to change the data model to get your "Expected result" , go to Edit queries,

Create M code as below

5.png

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("dZBLDoAgDESvYliTQCmKLv3rGQz3v4YQIRaqJKSEN22nvS4xTrOQwuhwQowXFCijwQkva9zEN8dIspFjm3CXouWSllRoKV7WLVoi/YHjX3sPzsWzDLkkT4BfFssmeZrC5n6c4ctxm8MH1q9NivtqTfhfwZQ2qWTgmwzY3w==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Project = _t, #"Contract Value" = _t, #"Budget Revenue" = _t, Date.Month = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Project", type text}, {"Contract Value", Int64.Type}, {"Budget Revenue", Int64.Type}, {"Date.Month", type date}}),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom1", each let project=[Project] in List.Max(Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each [Project] =project)[Date.Month])),
    #"Added Conditional Column1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom1", "Custom.1", each if [Date.Month] = [Custom1] then 1 else null),
    #"Filtered Rows1" = Table.SelectRows(#"Added Conditional Column1", each [Custom.1] <> null and [Custom.1] <> ""),
    table1 = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Filtered Rows1",{"Budget Revenue", "Date.Month", "Custom1", "Custom.1"}),
    #"Filtered Rows2" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each [Budget Revenue] <> null and [Budget Revenue] <> ""),
    #"Filtered Rows3" = Table.SelectRows(#"Filtered Rows2", each [Budget Revenue] <> 0),
    #"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered Rows3", "Custom2", each let project=[Project] in List.Max(Table.SelectRows(#"Filtered Rows3", each [Project] =project)[Date.Month])),
    #"Added Conditional Column2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom2", "Custom.2", each if [Date.Month] = [Custom2] then 1 else null),
    #"Filtered Rows4" = Table.SelectRows(#"Added Conditional Column2", each [Custom.2] <> null and [Custom.2] <> ""),
    table2 = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Filtered Rows4",{"Contract Value", "Date.Month", "Custom2", "Custom.2"}),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(table1,{"Project"},table2,{"Project"},"table2",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded query" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "table2", {"Budget Revenue"}, {"table2.Budget Revenue"})
in
    #"Expanded query"

6.png

Please download my pbix to see more details.

You could click on the "applied pane" to see each step.

Best Regards

Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BekahLoSurdo 

Is this problem sloved?

If not, please let me know.

Best Regards

Maggie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BekahLoSurdo 

If i understand correctly from your information, you worked so complicatedly to solve your problem, you want a simple way instead.

Per your requirements, to get better performance for a large data, instead of create calculated table, 

1. if you want to filter data without 0 values/null, you could filter "Budget Revenue" column in Edit queries,

in this way, it doesn't need to create a new table.

4.png

2.If you need to change the data model to get your "Expected result" , go to Edit queries,

Create M code as below

5.png

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("dZBLDoAgDESvYliTQCmKLv3rGQz3v4YQIRaqJKSEN22nvS4xTrOQwuhwQowXFCijwQkva9zEN8dIspFjm3CXouWSllRoKV7WLVoi/YHjX3sPzsWzDLkkT4BfFssmeZrC5n6c4ctxm8MH1q9NivtqTfhfwZQ2qWTgmwzY3w==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Project = _t, #"Contract Value" = _t, #"Budget Revenue" = _t, Date.Month = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Project", type text}, {"Contract Value", Int64.Type}, {"Budget Revenue", Int64.Type}, {"Date.Month", type date}}),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom1", each let project=[Project] in List.Max(Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each [Project] =project)[Date.Month])),
    #"Added Conditional Column1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom1", "Custom.1", each if [Date.Month] = [Custom1] then 1 else null),
    #"Filtered Rows1" = Table.SelectRows(#"Added Conditional Column1", each [Custom.1] <> null and [Custom.1] <> ""),
    table1 = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Filtered Rows1",{"Budget Revenue", "Date.Month", "Custom1", "Custom.1"}),
    #"Filtered Rows2" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each [Budget Revenue] <> null and [Budget Revenue] <> ""),
    #"Filtered Rows3" = Table.SelectRows(#"Filtered Rows2", each [Budget Revenue] <> 0),
    #"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered Rows3", "Custom2", each let project=[Project] in List.Max(Table.SelectRows(#"Filtered Rows3", each [Project] =project)[Date.Month])),
    #"Added Conditional Column2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom2", "Custom.2", each if [Date.Month] = [Custom2] then 1 else null),
    #"Filtered Rows4" = Table.SelectRows(#"Added Conditional Column2", each [Custom.2] <> null and [Custom.2] <> ""),
    table2 = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Filtered Rows4",{"Contract Value", "Date.Month", "Custom2", "Custom.2"}),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(table1,{"Project"},table2,{"Project"},"table2",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded query" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "table2", {"Budget Revenue"}, {"table2.Budget Revenue"})
in
    #"Expanded query"

6.png

Please download my pbix to see more details.

You could click on the "applied pane" to see each step.

Best Regards

Maggie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you, @v-juanli-msft .

I really like how this is all done in one query, it makes for a much more streamlined process. The steps (filter the data as required per each column, strip out the necessary values per project per column, merge them all back together) are essentially the same but this way is much more succinct, which is what I was looking for. 

Thank you for your help!

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BekahLoSurdo 

It seems the columns"Project", "Contract Value","Budget Revenue" and "Date.Month" are from different tables.

Which table do they come from?

Could you show example data of these tables and relationships among them?

Best Regards

Maggie

I was having trouble attaching images yesterday but it seems to be working now, my apologies for the delay. This should help clarify:

Model.PNGTables.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.