Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Aggregating at two different levels on a hierarchical dimension

I have a bit of a tricky one. 

Just to be clear, I am in DirectQuery mode on a Tabluar SSAS instance, so measures are my only option.

I have a fact table Log, and a related dimension table Application and then a parent dimension table ApplicationGroup.  Log has an Errors field which can only be 1 or 0.  I chose this way to represent the data instead of a boolean because it allows me then to run numeric aggregations, such as SUM(Log[Errors]) and that gives me how many rows in the Log contains errors (not sure if there is a better way to handle that?).

So the problem is this: I want to be able to count for each Application Group how many of its Applications have any errors for any particular filter I run on the data, be that a time filter or error type, etc.

At first I thought, add a measure, ApplicationsErrored, to Applications:

IF(SUM(Log[Errors]) > 0, 1, 0)

This gives me for each Application a 1 or a 0 for each application, indicating whether or not that application has an error.  Note, I am not looking for a sum of the errors for an application, my end goal is to get the sum of the applications containing errors sliced by application group.  Like this;

ApplicationGroup  SUM of ApplicationsErrored

A                            5

B                            3

C                            12

However, if I then try to aggregate ApplicationErrors by ApplicationGroup it just gives me a 1 or a 0, and does not even give me the option to run a further aggregation operation on the measure.  So, it just seems that despite my measure being part of the Application table, in fact, it seems in Power BI a measure is run independently of the table it is declared in.

To be clear also I can't create a calculated column on the Application table that has a 1 or 0 there depending on whether the applciation has any errors, because that only relates to any errors of any type ever.  Whereas I need to be able to use the filtering capabilities of Power BI such that it shows an application as errored for a particular date range, but perhaps not for another.

Any DAX wizards out there give a newbie a helping hand on this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

You may take a look at the post below.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Need-count-for-matrix-non-zero-values/m-p/406361#M186090

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

You may take a look at the post below.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Need-count-for-matrix-non-zero-values/m-p/406361#M186090

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

try something like this (I'm assuiming you have single direction 1:many relationships between the tables)

Measure =
VAR __tab =
    GROUPBY (
        'Log',
        ApplicationGroup[Group],
        Applications[App],
        "Errors", SUMX ( CURRENTGROUP (), 'Log'[Error] )
    )
RETURN
    SUMX ( __tab, [Errors] )

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Thank you for the kudos 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.