Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

samueltonks2712
Regular Visitor

Aggregating Duration/Time

Hi there,

I'm trying to report on the number of activities for an individual who is part of a team. In January individual i was part of team 1 and had 2 activities. Unfortunately individual i didn't get on with team 1 and decided to move to team 2 where he had 5 activities. Each team has a unique id

In Power BI when I join individual i with the activities table to give me the total number of activies it quite rightly prodcues a count of 7. However the activities in different teams are independent and must not be aggregated.

My question is how do I report a change in team and thus two sets of count for individual i's activies in team 1 and tream 2 ? By my understanding Power BI only produces a snap shot in time, which causes a change in team to write over the origonal team and aggregate the data.

Is there some sort of measure or calculated field I could produce?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Samuel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi samueltonks2712,

How about we add another column which used to mark the individual team join state? Let’s say if individual i changed from team 1 to team 2, then the team join state would be changed from (1, 0) to (0,1), then when we need to aggregate the activities, we could use the aggregate function with a team joinstate filter.

For a measure, this could be write in the following way:

Calculate(

Sum(

‘TeamTable’[activitynum]), 

filter(all(‘TeamTable’), 

and(‘TeamTable’[joinstate]=1, ‘TeamTable’[individual]=i)

)

)

In addition, if you would share us more details with your data model here, then we might provide a more suitable solution, regarding the aggregate measure or calculated column.

Regards

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi samueltonks2712,

How about we add another column which used to mark the individual team join state? Let’s say if individual i changed from team 1 to team 2, then the team join state would be changed from (1, 0) to (0,1), then when we need to aggregate the activities, we could use the aggregate function with a team joinstate filter.

For a measure, this could be write in the following way:

Calculate(

Sum(

‘TeamTable’[activitynum]), 

filter(all(‘TeamTable’), 

and(‘TeamTable’[joinstate]=1, ‘TeamTable’[individual]=i)

)

)

In addition, if you would share us more details with your data model here, then we might provide a more suitable solution, regarding the aggregate measure or calculated column.

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.