Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

DBDave
Frequent Visitor

After latest update getting error publishing, and now can't open pbix file

I have a PBIX file which has been published to our team's PowerBI workspace for months now, and which I was able to edit and publsih as recently as yesterday.

This morning I updated PowerBI Desktop to version 2.40.4554.361 64-bit (October/2016), after which I opened the previously mentioned report file, made some changes, and then tried to publish them. I couldn't publish it, and instead got the following error: "Publishing failed for an unknown reason (FailedToRefreshPackageAfterImportError)"

So I tried closing and restarting PowerBI, but now I can't open the PBIX file anymore. I get the error "We weren't able to restore the saved database to the model"

Any ideas whether I can fix this or if that pbix is now dead? Thanks.

14 REPLIES 14
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @DBDave,

Publishing failed for an unknown reason (FailedToRefreshPackageAfterImportError)

Adding to other post, please use “Send a Frown” in Power BI Desktop to report your issue, also vote for this issue in the idea that mike_honey provides.

Besides, regarding to the above error, I have ever got it in the following scenario: I apply Row Level Security(RLS) on my dataset, publish the PBIX file to Service, and pin visuals to a dashboard. Then if I republish the PBIX file to Service, the error occurs. However, once I delete the visuals from dashboard, I can successfully republish the PBIX file. If you get the above error message in other PBIX files, please check if you encounter the same scenario as mine.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi. I don't get the option to send a frown. It errors straight away when i try to open the file.

Capture.PNG

My issue is not related to RLS at all, and is not the same scenario that this post refers to.  However, this issue describes exactly what I've experienced. 

I heard just now that there is a new build available on the download page to fix this issue.  

I've tested it and it does avoid the "A measure ... already exits" issue that I encountered.  With that new build, I was also able to open a file which was saved after striking that error, which previously gave an error: Unable to Open Document We weren't able to restore the saved database to the model

Please still take careful backups of your files and dont rely on this - I have conducted a very limited test for one scenario.

Here are the version numbers:

2.40.4554.421  - has issues

2.40.4554.463  - new build

Can others please test and post your results.

Well, the positive part is that I can also now open the pbix file with that latest build (woohoo!!), but the negative side is that I now get an error when trying to publish the report.  I never had any issues publishing this report before, but now every time I try it throws the error "AN ERROR OCCURRED WHILE ATTEMPTING TO PUBLISH '<report_name>.PBIX': THE REMOTE SERVER RETURNED AN ERROR: (404) NOT FOUND."

I've given up trying to figure this out and have opened a support case instead.  Moral of the story is that I need to be super cautious about upgrading my client in future, and more paranoid about keeping multiple backup copies of reports between desktop versions.  SMH.

Thanks all for your comments. The fix for this is now being actively worked on, ref https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

That fix has been released, and it has resolved this issue for me.  Can others please test and post your results.

Im having this issue since yesterday, it's killing me!! I need to present a report to C-Lev execs today and I cant publish. This is horrible!!!

@dMac314 - your issue is surely unrelated - this specific issue was resolved in 2016.

@DBDave This isn't the first post I've seen today on this issue. You could install last months version of the Desktop, it should be in your downloads folder unless you intentionally delete those. If you need a copy, I can provide you with a OneDrive link to get any of the previous versions.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am experiencing this error on some PBIX files. Can you send teh link where I can download an earlier version.

Thanks

Iain

@Anonymous You can find the previous versions and the most recent October versions here The September release is (29), but you can determine that by the download dates as to which month you want.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks for the link, unfortunately I can't open the file with the older version as it complains about the file being incompatible with the current version and says to download the latest version. :tableflip:

Oh well, guess I'm going to have to try to recover an earlier version of the pbix file. Smiley Mad

These issues appear to be related:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/After-upgrading-to-Oct-30-2016-I-cannot-refresh-my-model-any...

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/360879-issues/suggestions/16893475-unable-to-open-document-we-weren...

One of my files is now unopenable - I had to restore from a backup.

Very poor regression testing to let this get through - it seems clear more time and effort should be put in to testing before each release.  

I'd be happy if the pace of new features each month slowed down, if that meant we had a more stable and reliable product to use. 

schang
Regular Visitor

I met the same problem after the program update. I thought it is because of the gateway issue, so I reset my gateway and PowerBI, but finally it does not work.

So I hope someone can help with us for this issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.