Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

After desktop update dates display wrong format

I updated Power BI Desktop to the latest Feb release and when I click 'See Records' dates display mm/dd/yy hh:mm:ss, this only occurred after the update. Prior datetimes showed correctly. Funny thing is if I edit queries dates show correctly. Locale is set to Australia and my regional settings are fine.

The date format options I have under modelling don't give me the same format I had before the update.

Any ideas?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cmcilwain
Regular Visitor

Same issue here - after Feb desktop update, date formats changed from dd/MM/YYYY hh:mm:ss to MM/dd/YYYY hh:mm:ss even with regional settings on. None of the available date formats will restore the original format.

Date formats in the query editor still display correctly.

Rolling back to the previous version fiixed the problem.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
cmcilwain
Regular Visitor

Same issue here - after Feb desktop update, date formats changed from dd/MM/YYYY hh:mm:ss to MM/dd/YYYY hh:mm:ss even with regional settings on. None of the available date formats will restore the original format.

Date formats in the query editor still display correctly.

Rolling back to the previous version fiixed the problem.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Confirming that reinstalling a previous version resolved the issue for me, I found a great site that has download links as I couldn't find any on Microsoft's website:

https://zenatti.net/2017/07/04/power-bi-previous-versions/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I'll try rolling back now and advise how I go.

Would be good if MS can look at this so we don't have to go changing datetime formatting. 

Same issue here, Australian regional settings are ignored since the February update in Power BI desktop.

Everything is fine once I publish to the online service, so I won't roll back, just live with it while I develop the reports. I am very interested in the UTC date and time functions now available, as I want to have reports updated by the service to show the correct timezone relative to my readers, not whatever time the hosting server has set.

I was expecting to be able to retire my current solution for getting a consistent last update time on reports, but in fact the UTC functions update when clicking on a slicer to change a selection, rather than when data is refreshed, so I can't use them for that (still good for displaying current time in a known timezone. 

FYI the approach I use is to get the date and time using a web query that specifies the required timezone as a datasource, that way it approximates the actual time that part of the update process ran.

In case anyone did not find that solution through crawling the web yet, here  is:

let
    Source = Xml.Tables(Web.Contents("http://api.timezonedb.com/v2/get-time-zone?key=GETYOUROWNKEY&format=xml&by=zone&zone=Australia/Melbourne")),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"status", type text}, {"message", type text}, {"countryCode", type text}, {"countryName", type text}, {"zoneName", type text}, {"abbreviation", type text}, {"gmtOffset", Int64.Type}, {"dst", Int64.Type}, {"dstStart", type number}, {"dstEnd", type number}, {"nextAbbreviation", type text}, {"timestamp", type number}, {"formatted", type datetime}}),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Changed Type",{"formatted"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Removed Other Columns",{{"formatted", "Data refreshed"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns" 

You can get an API key at no cost for personal/non-commercial use from the nice people at https://timezonedb.com/ 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the additional input astewart18. My data source is based in the UK so holds UTC 0 datetime stamps. I need to show timezone information local to the customer which I can do via a customer identifier. I therefore show a convert datetime based on this which is unaffected by the locale of the person viewing the report. I'm going to bank your post below though as it could likely come in handy in future (and I'm sure for others on the forum!). Thanks again.

@astewart18wrote:

Same issue here, Australian regional settings are ignored since the February update in Power BI desktop.

Everything is fine once I publish to the online service, so I won't roll back, just live with it while I develop the reports. I am very interested in the UTC date and time functions now available, as I want to have reports updated by the service to show the correct timezone relative to my readers, not whatever time the hosting server has set.

I was expecting to be able to retire my current solution for getting a consistent last update time on reports, but in fact the UTC functions update when clicking on a slicer to change a selection, rather than when data is refreshed, so I can't use them for that (still good for displaying current time in a known timezone. 

FYI the approach I use is to get the date and time using a web query that specifies the required timezone as a datasource, that way it approximates the actual time that part of the update process ran.

In case anyone did not find that solution through crawling the web yet, here  is:

let
    Source = Xml.Tables(Web.Contents("http://api.timezonedb.com/v2/get-time-zone?key=GETYOUROWNKEY&format=xml&by=zone&zone=Australia/Melbourne")),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"status", type text}, {"message", type text}, {"countryCode", type text}, {"countryName", type text}, {"zoneName", type text}, {"abbreviation", type text}, {"gmtOffset", Int64.Type}, {"dst", Int64.Type}, {"dstStart", type number}, {"dstEnd", type number}, {"nextAbbreviation", type text}, {"timestamp", type number}, {"formatted", type datetime}}),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Changed Type",{"formatted"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Removed Other Columns",{{"formatted", "Data refreshed"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns" 

You can get an API key at no cost for personal/non-commercial use from the nice people at https://timezonedb.com/ 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.