Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GroverParkGeorg

After PowerBI Update of November 17, 2017, Web Browser controls in Office no longer load PowerBI URL

I've been using the Office Web Browser control in Access database applications to show PowerBI presentations from the published URL.

Yesterday, I was offered, and installed, the latest PowerBI update.

Today all of the web browser controls fail with a series of javascript errors.

Is there a fix for this latest problem?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks anyway.

So, the long and the short of it is that this PowerBI update broke a working control in an Office application and the PowerBI team's response is that the Office team has to fix it. While I certainly understand the reluctance to take responsibility, it is more than a bit disappointing.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@GroverParkGeorg wrote:

I've been using the Office Web Browser control in Access database applications to show PowerBI presentations from the published URL.

Yesterday, I was offered, and installed, the latest PowerBI update.

Today all of the web browser controls fail with a series of javascript errors.

Is there a fix for this latest problem?

Thanks.

@GroverParkGeorg

What does "Office Web Browser control" refer to and how you integrate Power BI with it? Could you be more specific? As to your issue, if it was working before upgrading, you may either upgrade the control to adapt to Power BI or downgrade Power BI.

Thanks for your response.

I assumed someone working with MICROSOFT PowerBI would also have knowledge of MICROSOFT Office applications like Word, Access, Excel, and so on. 

So, in Access, there is a Microsoft supplied control, called a Web Browser Control, which can be used to render web pages inside that control on a form. I assume it's also available in Excel, Word, etc. although I've not used it there.

I used it to display the PowerBI graphics created and published from PBI. It worked fine up until this update.

I can't "upgrade the control" because, frankly, it's MICROSOFT's job to do that and they haven't do so yet in response to this bug introduced in the November update to PowerBI. I would anticipate that will happen at some point once they realize it has been broken.

So, how do I downgrade Power BI, since that's the only option I can see at this point.

@GroverParkGeorg wrote:

Thanks for your response.

I assumed someone working with MICROSOFT PowerBI would also have knowledge of MICROSOFT Office applications like Word, Access, Excel, and so on. 

So, in Access, there is a Microsoft supplied control, called a Web Browser Control, which can be used to render web pages inside that control on a form. I assume it's also available in Excel, Word, etc. although I've not used it there.

I used it to display the PowerBI graphics created and published from PBI. It worked fine up until this update.

I can't "upgrade the control" because, frankly, it's MICROSOFT's job to do that and they haven't do so yet in response to this bug introduced in the November update to PowerBI. I would anticipate that will happen at some point once they realize it has been broken.

So, how do I downgrade Power BI, since that's the only option I can see at this point.

@GroverParkGeorg

I thought it was Power BI desktop update mentioned, so I meant installing old version desktop. As to update on Service, no rollback and downgrade.

Yes, it is indeed Microsoft's Job to fix that issue. However I think the issue is more related to the control, which is not adapt to the lastest Power BI Service. You would get better response and support from the dedicated Microsoft Office forum.

Thanks anyway.

So, the long and the short of it is that this PowerBI update broke a working control in an Office application and the PowerBI team's response is that the Office team has to fix it. While I certainly understand the reluctance to take responsibility, it is more than a bit disappointing.

How would one do that? 

Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.