Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

After March 2020 Update: Power BI Desktop Randomly Freezes

Hi All, 

After the March 2020 update I've found that Power BI desktop randomly freezes, sometimes for a few moments, sometimes indefinately. 

I can't find any strong causes, sometimes it's after I open a new tab in chrome or open a Powerpoint presentation. Other times there doesn't seem to be a cause at all. 

Sometimes I can hit 'ctrl, alt, delete', open the task manager and it will return to normal, other times it just sits there unresponsive until I 'end task' at which point I lose whatever work I've done up to that point. 

I'm not running any particular computational intensive data sets and up until now I haven't had any troubles at all.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? I'm running Windows 64bit. 

Thanks, 

Jake

5 REPLIES 5
judecalvillo

Same here. That said, I've gone ahead and simply reverted to the Dec. 2019 version, which I was able to download from Microsoft's archive of previous releases (info + download links) here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-latest-update-archive#december-2019-update-2765678...

Hope that helps! I think we're all hoping to use the latest version of Power BI, just as soon as it's fully stable.

-Jude C.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Funny, thing is I feel like I was running into that more on the February 2020 version than the March 2020 version. Running the March 2020 version seems to have made things better for me!! But, yes, I know what you are talking about it's just that I was experiencing that exact same thing on the February 2020 version.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Greg, 

Glad I'm not alone. I hope I can get some clarity soon as I'm in the middle of our busiest time of year - all our budgets are due soon and Power BI has been great for presenting and exploring the business' performance actual vs. budget. vs. forecast vs. next year. 

J

@Anonymous ,

I think there a few challenges with new releases. I am not keeping more 1-2 pbix open at a time. CPU usage problem does hit me hard. But it is High.

Please refer, if you can see similar issues here or log a support ticket : https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors