Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SusuYes
Helper III
Helper III

Advice/suggestions on data modelling a column with multiple selections

Hello everyone, 

I have a form where for employers to register on a website. Part of the form is a checkbox/dropdown menu of the multiple industries and employers can choose one or more industry from a preselected list that relevant to their company. 

When I export this data, this information is exported into a single coloumn where each selection is separated by a comma. My problem is that some of the preselected industiries have a comma in their name e.g. "Accounting Services, Administration & Office Support". This means that I cannot easily seprate them into different coloumns. See pic to get an idea about my data. 

powerbi.PNG

I want to be able to report on how many employers have registered from each industry. The query/measure should investigate every row of the 'Industry' coloumn and count the number of industries' selected. I have a list of all the indsutries which I have attached here.  

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions of how I can go about this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SusuYes 

Here I suggest you to replace delimeter in values like 'Accounting Services, Administration & Office Support' to symbol which we couldn't find in [Industry] column like ".". Then you can split other values by delimeter. Finally, you can replace "." in 'Accounting Services. Administration & Office Support' by "," or ";" to get result you want.

My Sample.

1.png

Create a custom column as below.

let 
_A = "Accounting Services, Administration & Office Support",
_NewA = "Accounting Services. Administration & Office Support"
in
if 
Text.Contains([Industry], _A) 
then 
Replacer.ReplaceText([Industry],_A,_NewA) 
else [Industry]

Do steps as above and result is as below.

1.png

Whole M code:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8ogpNTAwMvNVitWJVnJMTs4vzSvJzEtXCE4tKstMTi3WUXBMyc3MyywuKUosyczPU4CoV/BPSwNKKwSXFhTkF5WAVJWlFoEN8U0syizJzE0Fc1whykMgxqen6iAEYgE=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Industry = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Industry", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom.1", each let 
in
if 
then 
else [Industry]),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom.1", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(",", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Custom.1.1", "Custom.1.2"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Custom.1.1", type text}, {"Custom.1.2", type text}}),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type1",".",",",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Custom.1.1"})
in
    #"Replaced Value"

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SusuYes 

Here I suggest you to replace delimeter in values like 'Accounting Services, Administration & Office Support' to symbol which we couldn't find in [Industry] column like ".". Then you can split other values by delimeter. Finally, you can replace "." in 'Accounting Services. Administration & Office Support' by "," or ";" to get result you want.

My Sample.

1.png

Create a custom column as below.

let 
in
if 
then 
else [Industry]

Do steps as above and result is as below.

1.png

Whole M code:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8ogpNTAwMvNVitWJVnJMTs4vzSvJzEtXCE4tKstMTi3WUXBMyc3MyywuKUosyczPU4CoV/BPSwNKKwSXFhTkF5WAVJWlFoEN8U0syizJzE0Fc1whykMgxqen6iAEYgE=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Industry = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Industry", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom.1", each let 
in
if 
then 
else [Industry]),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom.1", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(",", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Custom.1.1", "Custom.1.2"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Custom.1.1", type text}, {"Custom.1.2", type text}}),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type1",".",",",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Custom.1.1"})
in
    #"Replaced Value"

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Rico, 

does this mean that I will need to write variables for every 'Industry' entry that I need to split? 

For example, you can see in 'Industry' coloumn that there are multiple and repeatable items.

powerbi 1.PNG

Does this mean I will need to introduce a new variable in the code similar to _A and _NewA? 

Hi @SusuYes 

If you have multiple entries like the screenshot, you may need to tell Power BI which it need to keep when transform. So you need to use _B,_NewB in your code. From your screenshot, I see all entries you want to keep "," are started by

"Accounting Services", maybe you can let _A = "Accounting Services, "_New_A = "Accounting Services. "

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @SusuYes 
Is it possible to change delimeter to semicolon in preselected industries name?
For eg.:- Advertising , Arts & Media -> Advertising ; Arts & Media
If this is possible then in power query you can split column by delimeter ',' and preselected industries will not be affected.

Did I answer your question?
Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

Hi Muskan, I have thought about that but unfortuntaly the system that I am using does not allow you to change the delimeter. Moving forward, I have fixed the preselected industris to avoid this but I still need to report on this years data. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @SusuYes , then you can add custom column with if condition where you can check that industry name !=  Advertising , Arts & Media(all industries with delimeter that we don't want to split) then split the column else nothing to be done.

This sounds like an interesting appraoch, I have not used != before, can you please expand a little bit? Would I need to write a measure to achieve that? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @SusuYes ,
Not equal to in power query is represented as <>,
So you can use this in if condition

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@SusuYes , one of the option you have is split by dimlimter into rows in power query

https://www.tutorialgateway.org/how-to-split-columns-in-power-bi/

Thanks for the comment. The only problem I have with this option is that some entries have a delimeter in them. For example, 'Accounting Services, Administration & Office Support' is one entry and should not be split. 

@SusuYes , first replace " & "by " , " and then try

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.