Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

maknu
Regular Visitor

Advice on loading data from multiple xlsx in different folders

Hi,

I have a personal winter project to learn about how Power BI can improve my workflow.

Case is that I have a projects server volume with project reports as excel files. All the excel files are structured the same way but they reside in project folders. We have the folder structured as

p://area/year/project number/discipline/sustainability/...and here I have the two excel files...

One way that requires programmig that I'm not capable of is to automate BI to run though the whole folder structure and load everything under each and every "sustainability" folder. We have about 300 project each year and I assume this would be time consuming even if I got it to work.

Another way is to export to excel files into one single dedicated folder instead. This folder would then contain hundreds of excel files but it would be easy to automate the data import.

Your two cents? I lean towards the second way with one folder...

/Mats

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@maknu , My advice would be to put them in a single folder. if possible on the SharePoint folder.  That will keep it easy and clean

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @maknu ,

Here's a blog about this, please refer to

Power Query dynamic file path | Excel Quick Help

Overview of steps

1. Enter file path and file names into cells in a separate worksheet in the Excel workbook;
  2. Name the cells (click in the cell, and add a cell label into the name box);
  3. Create custom objects at the start of the Power Query which define the file paths using the named cell references, using the Advanced Editor;
  4. Update the file path and file name details in the named cells to refresh the Power Query data source.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Stephen,

This looks interesting. Will look inte this when I'm in a relaxed mood.

/Mats

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@maknu , My advice would be to put them in a single folder. if possible on the SharePoint folder.  That will keep it easy and clean

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.