Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kenzzzo82
Regular Visitor

Advice on creating a Dashboard

I have a set of Production Hardware data that I extract automatically from a centralized database. I put together some nice Dashboards already that calculate the cost per clienty to run their hardware. But I feel like I took some shortcuts becaise I am new to PowerBI and now I am being tasked with some more Dashboards using the same data and I am trying not to use the same shortcuts if they are indeed short cuts. 

So for example. I needed to calculate the percentage of a physical machines a client's VMs take up. To do this, I know that the first thing to run out is physical memory on the machine. I had a query that has each client, and all of their total installed memory. I simple calculated the average memory per physical server we have and added that as a static column. So we have 200 clients and each client has the same column called "Avg price per physical server" with the same value. Then I have a column that is calculated that take a percentage of the total price. I feel like there has to be a way to not have this value repeating 200 times and still use it. 

Now my new task is a similar situation. Instead of the average cost, I have to do capacity planning. So I need to take a total of all of the memory on all physical machines and then a total of all currently used memory, and then write formulas on when we would hit capacity if we added X amount of RAM per machine etc. So is there a way I can store this total somewhere in PowerBI desktop and access it for my formulas. or is adding in another column with a static value the way to go? 

Hope I explained that clearly. 

1 REPLY 1
kenzzzo82
Regular Visitor

Also, thinking it through, I want the Dashboard to only work with formulas on my original data set and I am not certain how to do that. 

So for instance, I might want a Dashboard to just show Memory Capacity, Used Memory,, and remaining memory, all which are calculations off my original data set. Would I need to create a new Query that contains just calculations in a table? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.