Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RichardJ
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Advice on correct method of establishing relationship using a common denominator between two tables

Hi,

I've been struggling to figure out the best way to establish the realtionship(s) necessary to compare customer demand to production availability.  (Link to PBIX)

I have the following (incorrect) relationships established at present

Current RelationshipCurrent Relationship

The list of 'Unique Part Numbers' were taken from the Customer Demand Table and grouped so that only unique Supplier Material Numbers exist in this table. I had hoped this would act as a common denominator between both the Customer Demand and Production Schedule tables.

When selecting a unique Supplier Material Number, the Customer Demand and Production Schedule Supplier Material Numbers do not filter accurately.

Click on a Part Number to view both tablesClick on a Part Number to view both tables

The Total Production Slots and Empty Production Slots are incorrect also.

Current Incorrect ValuesCurrent Incorrect Values

What i've been trying to achieve is this behaviour.

(If we use Part_22 as an example the figures shown below are the desired response)Desired BehaviourDesired Behaviour

Any assistance on how to structure the data and the relationships would be appreciated.

I'd be happy to merge tables or totally change my approach.

The PBIX can be downloaded here : https://www.dropbox.com/s/fkv7uvxsusiurp6/Demand_Production_Question.pbix?dl=0 

Thanks,

Richard

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
RichardJ
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi,

So far have managed to correct the data shown in the Production Demand table by changing the direction of this relationship to 'both' ways. (Link to updated PBIX) 

Changed relationship to both waysChanged relationship to both ways

The remaining issue is the syntax for the 'Empty Production Slots' column in the  'Unique_Part_Numbers_From_Customer_Demand' table 

Empty Production Slots = 
CALCULATE(
COUNTROWS('Production Schedule'),
   FILTER('Production Schedule','Production Schedule'[Empty Slot Count]=1)
)

// I would like this column to show the empty production slots for the Supplier Material Number.
// I'd hoped that establishing the correct relationship(s) would correct this figure

I must have the incorrect syntax for trying to filter on a related table.

Can anyone advise on the correct syntax?

Thanks,

Richard

Can anyone advise the correct syntax to only select 

View solution in original post

RichardJ
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Writing down this question/summary helped me rethink the solution.

I ended up using a measure to achieve the end result.

# Empty Slots = 
COUNTROWS(FILTER('Production Schedule','Production Schedule'[Build Slot Status]="Empty Slot"))

Updated PBIX 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
RichardJ
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi,

So far have managed to correct the data shown in the Production Demand table by changing the direction of this relationship to 'both' ways. (Link to updated PBIX) 

Changed relationship to both waysChanged relationship to both ways

The remaining issue is the syntax for the 'Empty Production Slots' column in the  'Unique_Part_Numbers_From_Customer_Demand' table 

Empty Production Slots = 
CALCULATE(
COUNTROWS('Production Schedule'),
   FILTER('Production Schedule','Production Schedule'[Empty Slot Count]=1)
)

// I would like this column to show the empty production slots for the Supplier Material Number.
// I'd hoped that establishing the correct relationship(s) would correct this figure

I must have the incorrect syntax for trying to filter on a related table.

Can anyone advise on the correct syntax?

Thanks,

Richard

Can anyone advise the correct syntax to only select 

RichardJ
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Writing down this question/summary helped me rethink the solution.

I ended up using a measure to achieve the end result.

# Empty Slots = 
COUNTROWS(FILTER('Production Schedule','Production Schedule'[Build Slot Status]="Empty Slot"))

Updated PBIX 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.