Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Adobe Analytics Connector Limiting Dimensions

I am using the Adobe Analytics connector for one of my reports. One of my 'Dimensions' is called 'Websites' and the data is a URL, we look at over 100 websites and I am looking at the traffic for each one. When I use the Websites dimension it only displays 10 of the sites. Is there a way I can add a line of code in the advanced query editor to remove this limit?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You'll want to use the Top parameter with your dimensions.  You can get up to 50,000 dimension values per call.

{Cube.ApplyParameter, "Top", {10000, "evar123"}},
{Cube.ApplyParameter, "Top", {1000, "evar234"}},

If you open the log for the Report Builder, you should see which elements are using "top" in the json of the reportDefinition:

... ,
    "elements": [
      {
        "id": "evar123",
        "top": 10000,
        "startingWith": 1
      }
    ],

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous ,

The Adobe connector in Power BI Desktop relies on the Adobe Analytics Report API to return tables.  
The above issues may be caused by that there are limitations in Adobe Analytics Report API and data may also be sampled in the API, please consult Adobe Analytics support.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response.

This isn't an Adobe issue, this is Power BI. Adobe report builder allows me to pull in data in the correct way which also references the API, I am looking for a specific piece of DAX which highlights the option.

You'll want to use the Top parameter with your dimensions.  You can get up to 50,000 dimension values per call.

{Cube.ApplyParameter, "Top", {1000, "evar234"}},

If you open the log for the Report Builder, you should see which elements are using "top" in the json of the reportDefinition:

... ,
    "elements": [
      {
        "id": "evar123",
        "top": 10000,
        "startingWith": 1
      }
    ],

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jeffshieldsdev Thank you for this fantastic tip. It really helps. I was looking to import the page dimension and by default I was getting 10 values back by date..but now I can expand this to higher limits.

Could you please share any relevant documentation where you got this information. I would like to understand better about 50,000 dimension values. Also, where were you able to find that by default it gives top 10 values. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

It's a bit buried.

The connector uses Adobe's Analytics 1.4 API.  The Reporting API has a Report.Queue method it uses, and POSTs this reportDescription in the body.  The reportDescriptionElement in the reportDescription has the "top" parameter.

In a few reports, I've used the API and Postman to download historical data (2017,2018,2019) to .JSON files I store in OneDrive, and then only use the connector in the report to get "live" data (2020 forward).  I merge these together into one table in the Query Editor.

Anonymous
Not applicable

In the following example you gave:

what is the top 10000 based on? Is it the top 10000 based on evar123? Is it the top 10000 alphabetically? And what happens if I change evar123 to "null"?

Thanks!

Yes, it's saying "return the top 10,000 evar123 values".  You can return up to 50,000 values.  Without specifying a Top, the default of 10 values will be returned.

I believe the order is based on the first measure, if no measure is used it will probably be page views or occurances--not sure though.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.