Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

UK_User123456
Resolver I
Resolver I

Additional Bar graph when selected

Hi All,

Below screenshot I have my bar graph which shows my sales over time for categories 1/2/3/4 and 6 are selected in my filter (Green bars). Is it possible to add in the red bar(s) when say categories 7 and 8 are selected and the red bar will appear? 

Capture.jpg

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Vandalytic
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi,

you can try to use a stacked column visual and customize the data colors for each category.

If you create a stacked column with categories in the legend and a Filter by Category you will hace something similar to:

StackedColumns.JPG

Then you can customize Data Colors in the Format Menu (first categories in green and categories 7 & 8 in red):

CustomizedDataColorsJPG.JPG 

Finally you will have this visual:

StackedColumnswithCustomizedDataColors.JPG

If you filter first categories, the columns appear in green color, but if you include 7 & 8 they will appear in red.

Other way is to create value groups in the Category field in order to assign each group a color:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-grouping-and-binning

Please, chek this answer as Solution if it solve your issue.

View solution in original post

Check the link : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-grouping-and-binning

You can create a group for categories 7 & 8 and it works like a grouped value. Let's say you create a group for categories from 1 to 6 and call it "Green Categories" and another group for categories 7&8 called "Red Categories". Then you can add a slicer by Category Groups.

Perfect! Thank you so much for your advice.

6 REPLIES 6
Vandalytic
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi,

you can try to use a stacked column visual and customize the data colors for each category.

If you create a stacked column with categories in the legend and a Filter by Category you will hace something similar to:

StackedColumns.JPG

Then you can customize Data Colors in the Format Menu (first categories in green and categories 7 & 8 in red):

CustomizedDataColorsJPG.JPG 

Finally you will have this visual:

StackedColumnswithCustomizedDataColors.JPG

If you filter first categories, the columns appear in green color, but if you include 7 & 8 they will appear in red.

Other way is to create value groups in the Category field in order to assign each group a color:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-grouping-and-binning

Please, chek this answer as Solution if it solve your issue.

Ok that may just work thank you, but what happens if I wanted to put a slicer in for the user to be able to say if they want to see Category 7/8?

Check the link : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-grouping-and-binning

You can create a group for categories 7 & 8 and it works like a grouped value. Let's say you create a group for categories from 1 to 6 and call it "Green Categories" and another group for categories 7&8 called "Red Categories". Then you can add a slicer by Category Groups.

Perfect! Thank you so much for your advice.

TeigeGao
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @UK_User123456 ,

In your scenario, it is not possible to display the extra data on the visual by clicking the visual directly, as a workaround, we can create an extra slicer to select the visual you want to see.

Best REgards,

Teige

@TeigeGao many thanks for your response, how would the extra slicer work? I am open to different ways of getting around the issue I am having.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.