Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kumar11109
Helper IV
Helper IV

Adding sessions which are nearby

Dear All, 

I am facing a problem. I want to consider the session of the same group which has started nearby. 

For ex. session 1 and 2 have started one after the other for the group 3. I want to consider sessions which have started in a difference of 5 mins for the same group as one and would want to rename them as one. 

I have attached the image of a sample data set. 

How can do this?

Would appreciate the help. 

Thank You, Screenshot (24).png

6 REPLIES 6
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@Kumar11109

I get it. You don't need to take the Resource Level scenario. 

I tried sample data like below (a little bit different than yours):

Capture.PNG

Firstly, you need to add two calculated column to get the MinStartTime and MaxEndTime for current Session within current Group.

MinStartTime = CALCULATE(MIN('Session'[StartTime]),ALLEXCEPT('Session','Session'[SessionID],'Session'[GroupID]))
MaxEndTime = CALCULATE(MAX('Session'[EndTime]),ALLEXCEPT('Session','Session'[SessionID],'Session'[GroupID]))

Then create a MinutesDiff column to calculate the difference between current MinStartTime and previous session MaxEndTime.

MinutesDiff = 
    * (
         'Session'[MinStartTime] 
            - CALCULATE (
                MAX ( 'Session'[MaxEndTime] ),
                FILTER (
                   'Session',
                    'Session'[SessionID]
                        = EARLIER ( 'Session'[SessionID] ) - 1 && 'Session'[GroupID]=EARLIER('Session'[GroupID])

)
            )
    )

Now you need to re-tag the Sessions to make "nearby" session as same one. Before that, we need a "Flag" column based on above MinutesDiff column. 

Flag = IF('Session'[MinutesDiff] > 5,1,0)

Then calculate the running total of above column to make all less that 5 minutes difference sessions into same group. 

SessionGroup = CALCULATE(SUM('Session'[Flag]),FILTER('Session','Session'[SessionID]<=EARLIER('Session'[SessionID])))

The result looks like below:

34.PNG

Regards,

@v-sihou-msft I tried using the formula. But when we are finding out the difference, I was not able to calculate it because my groups id and session id's are alphanumeric and so the earlier command is not able to run. I am sending you screenshot. I tried finding a solution, but to no avail. Can you please help me. 

Screenshot (26).png

@v-sihou-msft

I tried using the formula that you had given, but because my session and group id are alphanumeric, I wasn't able to compare the numbers. 

Can you please help me. 

Thank You, 

Kumar Ashwarya 

v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@Kumar11109

I'm still not clear about your requirement. Do you need to take the Resource level in your logic? For example, the first Resource for Session 2 is started on 8:57:23. This time should be compared with the first Resource under Session 1, or the last one?

@v-sihou-msft would you be able to guide me to the command which might help me in doing this? 

I think i should it put as if, because the session 1 and 2 are in difference of only 1 minutes, I should be able to consider those 2 sessions as 1 for group with group id 3. Similarly for session 3 and 4 also should be 1 for group with id 5. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors