Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Adding rows to a "Same Period Last Year" calculation

I have a data set that lists sales for specific dates from 2017 through 2019.  I created the following calculation for me to compare sales on a year-over-year basis: 

Prior Year Sales = CALCULATE(SUM('Margin Query'[SALES]),SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('Margin Query'[YOY_DATE]),ALL('Margin Query'))

The calculation works properly when I am comparing sales using the "YoY Date" field as my only row.  This view is generated using a matrix: 

Month End Date              Sales     Prior Year Sales

2/28/2017          $15,000,000      -

2/28/2018          $20,000,000      $15,000,000

I would like to add additional rows to the view above so I can see how individual groups performed on a year-over-year basis.  As such, I added a data attribute called "Group" to break out sales by group.  When I do this, however, I am noticing that the "Prior Year Sales" rows for 2/28/2018 lists the total sales for 2/28/2017, rather than the sales for each individual group.  Here is an example of what I am seeing: 

Month End Date              Sales     Prior Year Sales

2/28/2017                       

Group A              $5,000,000         -

Group B              $5,000,000         -

Group C              $3,000,000         -

Group D              $2,000,000         -

2/28/2018                       

Group A              $6,000,000         $15,000,000

Group B              $6,000,000         $15,000,000

Group C              $5,000,000         $15,000,000

Group D              $3,000,000         $15,000,000

Instead of seeing "$15,000,000" listed above in the "Prior Year Sales" column, I would like to see the sales for each comparable group listed. 

With this said, I have two questions about this calculation: 

1)  Do I need to invoke the "Group" field in my calculation above in order for it to pivot properly?  

2)  If the answer to (1) is "Yes," is it possible to invoke 2+ fields in this calculation?  Let's say that I want to pivot by "Group" and by "State." 

Thanks for the feedback. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous ,

1)  Do I need to invoke the "Group" field in my calculation above in order for it to pivot properly?  

2)  If the answer to (1) is "Yes," is it possible to invoke 2+ fields in this calculation?  Let's say that I want to pivot by "Group" and by "State." 

1) Yest.

2) We could invoke 2+fields in that calculation.

Please refer to my test sample. Here is the measure formula.

Measure = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Sales]),ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Group],'Table'[status]),SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('Table'[Date]))

Here is the output.

Capture.PNG

Hope this can help your.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous ,

1) Yest.

2) We could invoke 2+fields in that calculation.

Please refer to my test sample. Here is the measure formula.

Measure = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Sales]),ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Group],'Table'[status]),SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('Table'[Date]))

Here is the output.

Capture.PNG

Hope this can help your.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

This worked, thanks, Cherry! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.