Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kiddn
Helper I
Helper I

Adding rows based on criteria

Hi,

I currently have a list of exchange rates dating back a number of years. Given the markets are closed Saturday and Sunday, there are no values associated with these dates. Format is row by row.

Is it possible to fill in these  'gaps' by looking at the previous date entered with a value. An example is below:

Friday 27/7/18         EUR NZD             0.5815

Saturday 28/7/18     EUR NZD             no value

Sunday   29/7/18     EUR NZD             no value

Monday 30/7/18      EUR NZD            0.5820

Can Power BI add rows to fill in last value available i.e. 0.5815? Note Saturday and Sunday dates do not exist in the data set so the formula would need to be able to write in Saturday and Sunday and the value associated with it.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kiddn

Note Saturday and Sunday dates do not exist in the data set so the formula would need to be able to write in Saturday and Sunday and the value associated with it.

Since you dataset doesn't contain Saturday and Sunday, you need to add them to your dataset.

1.In Power Query, create a date table, reference here about how to create a date table in power query.

14.png

2.create custom columns in your dateset and the date table to define weekday of each date.

use function

Date.DayOfWeek([Column1])

3.in the newly created date table, use "Merge queries", then expand columns

11.png

15.png

4.sort the column(date) by "sort ascending", then click "fill down" for column "Sheet6.data"

12.png

13.png

Best Regards

Maggie

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kiddn

Note Saturday and Sunday dates do not exist in the data set so the formula would need to be able to write in Saturday and Sunday and the value associated with it.

Since you dataset doesn't contain Saturday and Sunday, you need to add them to your dataset.

1.In Power Query, create a date table, reference here about how to create a date table in power query.

14.png

2.create custom columns in your dateset and the date table to define weekday of each date.

use function

Date.DayOfWeek([Column1])

3.in the newly created date table, use "Merge queries", then expand columns

11.png

15.png

4.sort the column(date) by "sort ascending", then click "fill down" for column "Sheet6.data"

12.png

13.png

Best Regards

Maggie

Zubair_Muhammad
Community Champion
Community Champion

@kiddn

Hi,

Try adding this calculated column

Revised Values =
VAR NonBlankRow =
    TOPN (
        FILTER (
            Table1,
            Table1[Currencies] = EARLIER ( Table1[Currencies] )
                && Table1[Date] <= EARLIER ( Table1[Date] )
                && NOT ( ISBLANK ( Table1[Value] ) )
        ),
        [Date], DESC
    )
RETURN
    MINX ( NonBlankRow, [Value] )

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals

@kiddn

Please see file attached as well

addrowsz.png

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals

Hi thanks for your support.

To clarify, are your revised values based off dates that are already there? i.e. a master date table.  Or is DAX smart enough to add in the extra dates as rows then calculate the values from that?

addrowsz.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.