Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

johnwedeles
Helper III
Helper III

Adding pop-up notes to report

Hello: I am trying to add a notes page to a Power BI report. The page would contain notes and data sources for the report. The user would ideally be able to click on an icon, view the notes, and then close out of the page to return to the visuals.

Is this possible through the bookmark function, or something similar? Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@johnwedeles 

Just to add to the toolkit of options already submitted...

1) if you wish to add short information regarding a specific visual, you can resort to the header tooltip:

1 Report header tooltip.JPG

2 2020-02-13.png

2) if you need slightly longer text, or images etc, you can use the report page tooltip in the header of the visual aswell. The tooltip appears when a user hovers over the " ? " symbol on the header.

3 Report Page tooltip.JPG4 2020-02-13 (1).png

3) If you need longer format, or the info is related to a whole page (and you wish to include links to sources etc), I would suggest that using bookmarks/buttons to go to another page is your best option.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@johnwedeles 

Just to add to the toolkit of options already submitted...

1) if you wish to add short information regarding a specific visual, you can resort to the header tooltip:

1 Report header tooltip.JPG

2 2020-02-13.png

2) if you need slightly longer text, or images etc, you can use the report page tooltip in the header of the visual aswell. The tooltip appears when a user hovers over the " ? " symbol on the header.

3 Report Page tooltip.JPG4 2020-02-13 (1).png

3) If you need longer format, or the info is related to a whole page (and you wish to include links to sources etc), I would suggest that using bookmarks/buttons to go to another page is your best option.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

VasTg
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@johnwedeles 

Look into report pages as tooltips. Even filters the data based where you hover over..

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-tooltips

If it helps ,mark it as a solution

Kudos are nice too

Connect on LinkedIn

Thank you @VasTg - this is helpful. I'm looking to have a static page with a text box that lists the notes and data sources for the entire page - so it's not just related to certain visuals. 

Hi @johnwedeles ,

The method @VasTg  provided is a good way. In addition, you can also implement it with buttons and text boxes.

c6.PNG

Using buttons in Power BI 

Add text boxes and shapes to Power BI reports 

Show or Hide a Power BI Visual Based on Selection 

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Great - thank you @v-lionel-msft @PaulDBrown @VasTg - these are all helpful ideas. I think I will try a combination of bookmarks and buttons for this purpose.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.