Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Blaype1

Adding new files but not overriding old information

Hello, i'm new to using PowerBI and am trying to find a way to add new files to my data without overriding all of the prior information and just including the new information.  For example I have a couple of asset reports that I pull monthly, the problem with the reports is that once the asset has been disposed the asset shows up with an acquisition value of zero.  I would like to keep the acquisition value of the asset(for Tax purposes) and include the new assets in the report and the new accumulated deprection for the month. I'm using this Power BI report to confirm that our system is calculating the correct depreciation. I was able to include formulas to compare the system calcuation and the Power BI calcuation and found some difference but now my problem is that because i'm replacing the report monthly once the asset is disposed it shows up as zero and I need acquisition value for historical purposes.

My thought was to start from the begining of the system(luckly only 16 months) upload the first month(May 2016)  set up the formulas I need to compare the calcuations and then upload the second month (June 2016) and say if acquisition value is zero go to prior month and pull acquisition value, how can I set this up?

Regards,

Blay P. Nys

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Blaype1,

Actually, I am confusing about your requirement. You mean you try to save old and append new updated data into an additional table? If it is, the feature is not supported in Power BI, please review this idea and vote it.

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Blaype1,

Actually, I am confusing about your requirement. You mean you try to save old and append new updated data into an additional table? If it is, the feature is not supported in Power BI, please review this idea and vote it.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi. I voted, yes this sounds like what I need.

Thank you,

Blay

Hi @Blaype1,

I am glad the information is helpful. Please mark the helpful or right reply as answer, so more people will benefit from here.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I would pull in all of the data and then just use something like MAX in a measure to get the asset value. Not sure if I can help beyond that as I am not entirely clear on what you are going for. 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.